3. What is spirillacea?• rigid spirally curved elongate bacteria• Spirillaceae is a family of bacteria Spirochaetes• It has been described as a member of Nitrosomonadales ,in Betaproteobacteria Spiral shape of Spirillaceae
4. • Domain : Bacteria • Phylum : Protobacteria • Class : Betaprotobacteria• Order : Nitrosomonadales • Family : Spirillaceae • Genera : spirillum
5. Characteristics• Type : Gram negative bacteria• Shape : long, helically coiled (spiral-shaped) cells• Nature : chemoheterotrophic• Lengths : between 5 and 250 µm and diameters around 0.1-0.6 µm• Special : Differ from other bacteria by the location of the flagella / axial fillament which located between the bacterial inner membrane and outer membrane in periplasmic space.
6. Cont’d• Mobility : Effect of the flagella cause a twisting motion which allows the spirochaete to move about.• Reproduction : a spirochaete will undergo asexual transverse binary fission.• Others : Most spirochaetes are free-living and anaerobic gram- stained spirochaetes
7. Various screw bacteria a) Borrelia,b) Treponema, c) Leptospira
8. a) Spirillum undulata b) Spirillum rubrum c) Spirillum volutans d) Vibrio choleraeIn studying movement of bacteria the student should not confuse it with "Brownian movement", the trembling of minute objects when highly magnified. This is likely due to a molecular bombardment.
9. Disease• Spirillum minus and Streptobacillus moniliformis arespecies of Spirillum.• Spirillum minus cause rat-bite fever illness caused by bacteria transmitted Rat Bite by rodents, rats, in most cases, which is Fever ?? passed from rodent to human via the rodents urine or mucous secretions.