• Share
  • Email
  • Embed
  • Like
  • Save
  • Private Content
Alexian Brothers Heritage Wall Book Two
 

Alexian Brothers Heritage Wall Book Two

on

  • 3,845 views

 

Statistics

Views

Total Views
3,845
Views on SlideShare
2,131
Embed Views
1,714

Actions

Likes
0
Downloads
0
Comments
1

6 Embeds 1,714

http://www.alexianbrothers.org 1600
http://alexianbrothers.org 102
http://translate.googleusercontent.com 4
http://www.alexianbrothershealth.org 4
url_unknown 3
http://honyaku.yahoofs.jp 1

Accessibility

Categories

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Microsoft PowerPoint

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel

11 of 1 previous next

  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
  • The Heritage Wall is truly a gift to all of us here at ABMC & all of the people who walk these halls seeking help & refuge. Thank you, Br. Valentino Bianco, for sharing this gift with all of us!
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment

    Alexian Brothers Heritage Wall Book Two Alexian Brothers Heritage Wall Book Two Presentation Transcript

    • CELLITES/ALEXIAN BROTHERS: NEW HORIZONS IN AMERICA
    • 4/4/2011
      Guide to the Heritage Wall at Alexian Brothers Medical CenterElk Grove Village, IllinoisBook Two
      © Alexian Brothers Provincial Archives 2011
      Heritage Wall design by Brother Valentino Bianco, C.F.A.
      Presentation by Donna Carl Dahl
      All rights reserved
    • Brother Bonaventure Thelen was born in a small town near Trier, Germany on November 17, 1825. He entered the Congregation of Alexian Brothers in Germany in December of 1854, after which he served as a nurse in Krefeld, Monchengladbach, and on the battlefield during the Danish War. In 1865, he was chosen by the Congregation to extend the Alexian Brothers' service to the sick by establishing a hospital in the United States. He arrived in New York on January 2, 1866, and traveled to Chicago, Illinois looking for a suitable place to settle.
      4/4/2011
    • On March 31, 1866, the Bishop of Chicago gave Brother Bonaventure permission to establish an Alexian Brothers hospital in the city. By June of 1866 he had collected sufficient funds to erect a small house on the corner of Dearborn and Schiller Streets. This small infirmary, with the capacity for six patients, was the first Alexian Brothers Hospital in the United States.
      4/4/2011
    • On June 12, 1866, as if he were a medieval Beghard in the 14th century, Brother Bonaventure found his first patient, a poor and unemployed man, alone and ill on Franklin Street. Assisting the sick man into the small infirmary, Brother Bonaventure provided the patient with the only bed available – his own. Giving the man food, shelter and nursing care, Brother Bonaventure confirmed the age-old tradition of service to the poor, the destitute, and the outsider that constitutes the mission of the Alexian Brothers.
      4/4/2011
    • By 1868, the Brothers had outgrown the small hospital at Schiller and Dearborn, and had constructed a larger one between Market and Franklin Streets, which today are called Orleans and North Park. This second Alexian Brothers Hospital burned down during the Great Chicago Fire in October of 1871.
      4/4/2011
    • After the Great Chicago Fire, the Brothers rebuilt the hospital at the same location, constructing a larger and more modern building. This was the third Alexian Brothers Hospital in Chicago. It was dedicated by Bishop Thomas Foley on June 7, 1873. This building and the land surrounding it was sold to the Northwestern Elevated Railroad Company, and operations moved to a new hospital on Belden Avenue in 1898.
      4/4/2011
    • This photograph, from the year 1910, shows the Chicago hospital ambulance and physician interns. 
      4/4/2011
    • This is a rare 1888 photograph of the third Alexian Brothers Hospital in Chicago. It shows a horse-drawn carriage in front, and a large wooden statue housed in a nook on the third floor. This statue of St. John of God, the patron saint of the hospital, was a gift to the American Brothers from the German Brothers. It can be seen today under the name of Christ the Healer in the rotunda of Alexian Brothers Medical Center.
      4/4/2011
    • This old reliquary cross is thought to be one that Brother Bonaventure brought with him from Germany. It was often venerated by the sick and dying patients at the Chicago hospital. Today the cross can be seen as part of a display at Alexian Brothers Ministry Museum in Arlington Heights, Illinois.
      4/4/2011
    • This pill-maker and the old medicine bottles date from about 1900. These items were originally from the pharmacy at Alexian Brothers Hospital in Elizabeth, New Jersey. The pharmacist would put powdered medicine into the funnel and use the lever to compress the powder into tablets. These items are on display at Alexian Brothers Ministry Museum in Arlington Heights, Illinois.
      4/4/2011
    • This old microscope is thought to be the one that Brother Bonaventure Thelen brought with him from Germany in 1866. Today it is part of a display that can be seen at Alexian Brothers Ministry Museum in Arlington Heights, Illinois
      4/4/2011
    • This is a drawing of the fourth Alexian Brothers Hospital in Chicago. Located at Belden and Racine Avenues, it was dedicated by Archbishop Patrick A. Feehan on December 8, 1897. Alexian Brothers operated this hospital until 1968, when it was closed. The buildings and land were sold to the Little Sisters of the Poor.
      4/4/2011
    • An old photograph from 1898 shows the third floor of the Chicago hospital on Belden Avenue. Note the Brother nurse in his black habit covered by a large white apron. Alexian Brothers Hospitals were established for the care of men and boys, and did not admit women until the year 1962.
      4/4/2011
    • This is the Steam Bath room at the Chicago hospital in 1910. High temperature steam baths were considered a form of therapy, to cleanse and invigorate the body, relieve chest congestion, and sooth sore muscles.  
      4/4/2011
    • The Operating Room at the Chicago hospital in 1916 was spotless and illuminated by an electric lamp on the ceiling. A large window provided extra light during surgery. 
      4/4/2011
    • This is the Engine Room at the Chicago hospital in 1900. These huge machines controlled all of the power for the large building, and produced steam for heating. A Brother was usually in charge of the Engine Room, although it is not known whether any of the men in the picture are Brothers.
      4/4/2011
    • This is a photograph of the tombstone for Brother Bonaventure Thelen, the founder of the Alexian Brothers American Province. He died “an edifying death after a most painful illness” in Germany on July 9, 1898. He was 72 years old. The tombstone can be seen today at Alexian Brothers Ministry Museum in Arlington Heights.
      4/4/2011
    • The cornerstone for Alexian Brothers Hospital on Belden Avenue in Chicago was laid by Archbishop Patrick A. Feehan on October 4, 1896. A time capsule containing ecclesiastical newspapers, a history of the Alexian Brothers, and a document drawn up by the Archbishop was walled into the foundation. The ceremony was complemented by a celebration that included a parade with 24 priests of different nationalities, every Alexian Brother who could attend, and thousands of spectators. Today the cornerstone resides in the patio of the Brothers Residence in Elk Grove Village, Illinois.
      4/4/2011
    • This is a photograph of a ward at the Chicago hospital in 1898. These large rooms usually had six to eight beds, and were designed to allow fresh air to circulate freely. Brother nurses wearing black habits and white aprons can be seen tending to the needs of the patients. Famous Chicago doctor John B. Murphy is attending the patient in the bed at the back right. Dr. Murphy is the man in the dark jacket and white shirt, second from the right. 
      4/4/2011
    • This is how the laboratory at the Chicago hospital looked in the year 1910. The gentleman looking through the microscope is a physician. Although there are electric lights on the ceiling, the large window was necessary to provide enough light for the doctor to see through the microscope.  
      4/4/2011
    • An operation taking place at the Chicago hospital in the year 1898 shows that wearing masks and gloves was not common practice at the time. A Brother nurse is standing on the far left, and Doctor John B. Murphy is shown second from the right. Dr. Murphy was a prominent Chicago surgeon who invented the “Murphy Button,” an interlocking metal device that held the bowel together to improve healing after surgery. He was a faithful friend to the Brothers, and gave financial support to the hospital as well as annually donating turkeys to provide Thanksgiving Dinner for the patients.
      4/4/2011
    • This photograph of Alexian Brothers outpatient clinic was taken in the year 1916. This is the examination room for diseases of the ear, nose, and throat.
      4/4/2011
    • The Brothers worked in all areas of the hospital, including the laundry department. This photograph, from the year 1910 shows both Brothers and lay workers in the Chicago hospital laundry area.
      4/4/2011
    • Each Alexian Brothers Hospital had a chapel and a resident chaplain to say mass for the Brothers and patients. This picture shows the chapel at the Chicago hospital in 1937.
      4/4/2011
    • This is Brother Stephen Zepfel taking bedside vitals at the Chicago hospital in 1910. Brother Stephen was transferred to Germany later that year, and never returned to Chicago. He died in Germany in 1937.
      4/4/2011
    • The Chicago hospital laboratory in 1916 shows the Brother supervisor of the lab. Also shown are physician interns who were paid a fee by the hospital to function as House Physicians.
      4/4/2011
    • This is an operating room at the Chicago hospital in 1916. A Brother nurse is standing at the door, and the other men in the room are probably physician interns. Note the large window for optimal lighting during surgery.
      4/4/2011
    • In addition to six or eight bed wards, the Chicago hospital also had one private room on every floor. This 1898 photograph shows one of the private rooms, which included a sitting room separated from the bed room by a curtain.
      4/4/2011
    • In 1895, Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen discovered that X-Rays could penetrate the body to produce images. This photograph of a Brother taking X-rays at the Chicago hospital in 1910 shows that the Alexian Brothers have always been concerned with providing innovative technology to care for their patients.  
      4/4/2011
    • This is a picture of Alexian Brothers Hospital in Elizabeth, New Jersey. The hospital was founded in 1892, and this photograph was taken in 1975. Ownership was transferred to Elizabeth General Medical Center in 1990. 
      4/4/2011
    • This 1880 photograph shows the ambulance that was owned by Alexian Brothers Hospital in Elizabeth, New Jersey. Brother Prosper Redel drove the ambulance for over forty years and was one of the first on the scene of the Hindenburg disaster at Lakehurst, New Jersey in 1937.
      4/4/2011
    • This picture shows Alexian Brothers Hospital in St. Louis, Missouri. Founded in 1869, it was the second Alexian Brothers hospital in the United States. Sponsorship of this hospital was transferred to the Sisters of Mercy in 1997, but the Brothers still maintain a ministry in the St. Louis area with nursing homes and community services programs.
      4/4/2011
    • This aerial view of Alexian Village of Tennessee taken in 2006 showcases the natural beauty of its location on Signal Mountain, Tennessee. The Alexian Brothers bought the property in 1936, and opened a rest home for men in 1938. Today the complex includes independent living apartments, assisted living, and a health care center. Signal Mountain, Tennessee is also home to the headquarters of the worldwide Congregation of Alexian Brothers.
      4/4/2011
    • This is a picture of St. Alexius Medical Center in Hoffman Estates, Illinois. The hospital opened in 1979 as Suburban Medical Clinic, and was acquired by Alexian Brothers in 1999.
      4/4/2011
    • This photograph from 1910 shows the crucifixion group that graced the outside wall of the Brothers dining room, called the refectory, at the Chicago hospital.
      4/4/2011
    • Alexian Brothers Hospital School of Nursing in Chicago was incorporated in the year 1898, making it the fifth school of nursing for men to open in the United States. The school was originally intended to train young Brothers in the nursing arts, but eventually began to admit laymen to the three-year program. This picture shows the school of nursing building that was constructed in 1955 on Lakewood Avenue in Chicago.
      4/4/2011
    • Alexian Brothers Hospital in Oshkosh, Wisconsin was founded in 1879. It was the third Alexian Brothers hospital in the United States. This photograph shows the building in 1960. The hospital was closed in 1965, and the building and grounds were sold to the University of Wisconsin.
      4/4/2011
    • Alexian Brothers Hospital in San Jose, California was founded in 1965. With the opening of this hospital, Alexian Brothers ministry stretched from coast-to-coast from 1965 until 1990 when the hospital in Elizabeth, New Jersey was closed. Changes in the Congregation and in the way health care was delivered prompted the Brothers to consolidate their acute care ministry in the Midwest. The San Jose hospital was transferred to another health system in 1998.
      4/4/2011
    • Alexian Brothers Bonaventure House in Chicago opened in 1989 to provide support and housing for people living with AIDS. In the early years after the syndrome was discovered, the Alexian Brothers resolved to make the resources of the Province available to address the health needs of people with AIDS.
      4/4/2011
    • This is an aerial view of Alexian Brothers Novitiate in Gresham, Wisconsin. The facility was used to train young Brothers from 1951 until the program was transferred to Chicago in 1968. On January 1, 1975, a militant group of Native Americans from the Menominee Nation and members of the American Indian Movement illegally occupied the novitiate complex, demanding that the buildings and property be turned over to them. The standoff lasted until a deal between the Indians and the Alexian Brothers was struck 33 days later, ending the occupation.
      4/4/2011
    • This is Alexian Brothers Medical Mall in Schaumburg, Illinois, which provides outpatient care such as diagnostic services, therapies, assessments, and rehabilitation. It opened in 2004.
      4/4/2011
    • This is Alexian Brothers Behavioral Health Hospital in Hoffman Estates, Illinois. Alexian Brothers acquired this hospital in 1999 along with St. Alexius Medical Center. The photograph is from 2007.
      4/4/2011
    • Alexian Brothers AIDS Ministry expanded in 1998 to open Alexian Brothers The Harbor in Waukegan, Illinois. The Harbor provides services to people living with AIDS who also have addiction and substance abuse concerns.
      4/4/2011
    • The Alexian Brothers took care of the health needs of boys living at Father Flanagan’s Boys Town in Nebraska. The Brothers were in charge of Boys Town Memorial Hospital from 1955 until early 1976.
      4/4/2011
    • This is Alexian Court in St. Louis, Missouri. The apartment complex for senior citizens on fixed incomes opened in 1988.
      4/4/2011
    • This is Alexian Grove in Chattanooga, Tennessee. It is an independent living retirement community that was opened in 1992, and acquired by Alexian Brothers in 2003.
      4/4/2011
    • This is Lansdowne Village and Transitional Care Center in St. Louis, Missouri. The facility has a nursing home, a transitional care center, and an Alzheimer’s special care unit. It opened in 1988.
      4/4/2011
    • Alexian Rehabilitation Hospital opened in Elk Grove Village in 2004.
      4/4/2011
    • This picture shows the St. Alexius Monastery in Hungary. In 2003, Brother Joseph Francis Czeban was sent from America to establish a ministry in Hungary. After the successful completion of the monastery in 2007, St. Elizabeth of Hungary Home for the Elderly was constructed and opened in 2009.
      4/4/2011
    • This photograph shows the face of Alexian Brothers Medical Center in Elk Grove Village in 2010. Founded in 1966, Alexian Brothers Medical Center has expanded to meet the health care needs of the population it serves.
      4/4/2011
    • This is a photograph of the Alexian Brothers Provincialate and Novitiate on Kenmore Avenue in Chicago. The building functioned as the Provincial headquarters from 1968 until 1976, and as the Novitiate from 1975 to 2001.
      4/4/2011
    • This building was the site of the Novitiate at Clayton, Missouri from 1946 until 1951. It was named “Glennondale” in honor of John Joseph Cardinal Glennon, Archbishop of St. Louis from 1903 to 1946.
      4/4/2011
    • The Alexian Brothers Health and Wellness Center in Davao City, Philippines, which opened in 2001, is an extension of the Alexian Brothers mission to provide health care to the underserved. The Philippines ministry was founded in 1981 by Brother Eugene Gizzi.
      4/4/2011
    • Alexian Brothers Center for Mental Health in Arlington Heights, Illinois was founded in 1961 by the Northwest Mental Health Association. The organization was acquired by Alexian Brothers in 1997, and the pictured facility opened in 2005.
      4/4/2011
    • This building in Arlington Heights was acquired to serve as the Provincialate for the Immaculate Conception Province and the corporate headquarters of Alexian Brothers Health System and Alexian Brothers Hospital Network. The building was dedicated in 2004.
      4/4/2011
    • This statue of Christ the Healer has been standing in the rotunda of Alexian Brothers Medical Center for many years. It is the same statue that can be seen in the photograph of the third Chicago hospital in 1888.
      4/4/2011
    • This statue of Our Lady Queen of Heaven survived the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 when the Brothers buried her in the ground with other sacred objects before evacuating the hospital and fleeing the fire. This statue can be seen today on the grounds of Alexian Brothers Medical Center in Elk Grove Village.
      4/4/2011
    • Alexian Village of Milwaukee, Wisconsin was acquired in 1981. It serves the retired population of Milwaukee with independent and assisted living apartments and nursing home care.
      4/4/2011
    • Alexian Brothers Sherbrooke Village is a nursing home and skilled nursing facility that includes an assisted living residence. It opened in 1990 and was acquired by Alexian Brothers in 1992.
      4/4/2011
    • Alexian Brothers Valley Residence in Chattanooga, Tennessee serves clients with Alzheimer’s or cognitive impairment. It opened in 1998.
      4/4/2011
    • Alexian Brothers Community Services in Chattanooga is a Program for All-inclusive Care of the Elderly that opened in 1999. The program provides care to participants in an adult day health center and in their homes.
      4/4/2011
    • Alexian Brothers Health System (ABHS), is a diversified Catholic healthcare organization headquartered in Arlington Heights, Illinois. Governed by the 800 year-old Congregation of Alexian Brothers, ABHS oversees the operations of senior care facilities and programs, acute care and specialty hospitals, rehabilitation services, physician services, clinics and community-based programming in Illinois, Missouri, Tennessee and Wisconsin.
      Alexian Brothers Hospital Network, part of ABHS, is a comprehensive network comprised of four hospitals and affiliated healthcare services serving the two million residents of Chicago's growing Northwest suburbs.
      4/4/2011
    • For further information on the history of the Alexian Brothers, please go to the web site of the Immaculate Conception Province at:
      http://www.alexianbrothers.org
      For information about Alexian Brothers Health System, please go to
      http://www.alexianbrothershealth.org
      4/4/2011
    • 4/4/2011
      End