1. TODAY1. Icebreaker: introducing ourselves.2. Visual Rhetoric: what’s up with that?3. So what are we going to be doing?4. Did someone say Tumblr?5. Activities, activities, activities
2. IcebreakerTo start today, I want you to completewhat is likely to be a familiar sort oficebreaker activity. You will pair upwith someone you don’t alreadyknow, and over the course of a fewminutes you will interview thatperson.The info you need to get is on the nextslide.
3. Find out…1) The person’s name (obviously)2) What he/she goes by (if it’s different)3) His/her major and progress in the program.4) Why he/she decided to take Visual Rhetoric5) His/her favorite logo6) One piece of information that will help all of us to remember him/her.
4. Defining visual rhetoricOur starting point for thesemester will be this:defining visual rhetoric. I’llbe opening a Worddocument to take notes aswe talk. But first, a few quickslides with some elements toconsider.
5. Rhetoric is……"the faculty of discovering in anyparticular case all of the availablemeans of persuasion.”-Aristotle…”the basic function of rhetoric [is]the use of words by human agents toform attitudes or to induce actions inother human agents.”-BurkeMore! And citation for these two.
6. And Visual…Adjective1.of or pertaining to seeing or sight: a visual image.2.used in seeing: the visual sense.3.optical.4.perceptible by the sense of sight;visible: a visual beauty.5.perceptible by the mind; of the nature of a mental vision: a visual impression captured in a line of verse.
7. YOUR DEFINITION HERE.
8. So let’s talk about why The visual mattersOne of the easiest places togo to see the essence ofvisual rhetoric is to look atposters. Let’s look at a seriesof movie posters from thelast year, compliments ofEmpire magazine.
9. Now, then……let’s talk more specifically aboutwhat we will be doing as a class.At this point, please either focus onthe screen or open the website athttp://www.phillalexander.com/visThat course website, btw, will serve asour activity hub and your syllabus.Let’s talk about class.
10. And now, TumblrI will show you how to start a Tumblr,so follow along if you’re not familiarwith the site.Please go to http://www.tumblr.comOnce you create your site, pleaseemail the URL to me email@example.com
11. Your First TumblrFor your first Tumblr post, I wantyou to give me a skills overview.On the next slide you will find aseries of questions. Pleaseanswer them as completely andaccurately as you can.
12. Skills Overview How much experience do you have with:1) Adobe InDesign? Adobe Photoshop? Dreamweaver?2) Desktop publishing?3) Document design– working on a magazine, newspaper, website, or designing any sort of paperwork?4) Creating art? If so, what kind?5) Taking photographs?6) Any visual rhetoric-ish skills you want me to know you have?
13. And from that…Let’s work on design activity one. Turnto the website atphillalexander.com/vis. Notice that theheader is… not fantastic.Please form groups so that someone inyour group knows how to use eitherInDesign or Photoshop to the pointthat you can edit images.Group up– no less than 2, no morethan 3.
14. Make a better banner!Thinking about what we’ve discussed sofar, make a more compelling, useful, visuallypleasing banner for the course website.The image needs to be 160 pixels high andshould be roughly 1200 wide (though it canrepeat, or be shorter).
15. For Next Time You have numerous tasks, due to the week off for MLK day. Please:1) Start the InDesign tutorials described on the syllabus. You havetime to complete these, but the sooner, the better.2) read:Williams non-designers design book Chapters 1,2 & 3, and Chapters4 & 5: repetition & contrast; Kimball & Hawkins Chapters 1 and2, Golombisky & Hagen Chapters 1-3, and Missy is Missing, andWysocki “The Multiple Media of Texts” and “With Eyes That Thinkand Compose and Think,” Barthes “Rhetoric of the Image,” Benjamin“The Work of Art in the Era of Mechanical Reproduction,” (all onNiihka) and Kress “Reading Images” . We will work in particular withthe last set (the Wysocki, Barthes, Benjamin and Kress pieces) nexttime we meet.3) You have two design tasks, and should write two readingresponses. All four of those things should be posted to your Tumblr.
16. And now…… let’s finish by talking aboutcommunity partners and what ourmajor projects for the semester willlook like.And, of course, answer questions.