1. Education system in Italy “Pleased to meet EU” Comenius project
2. Education system in Italy “Pleased to meet EU” Comenius project The education system includes PRE-PRIMARY EDUCATION PRIMARY EDUCATION SECONDARY EDUCATIONUNIVERSITY HIGHER EDUCATION
3. Education system in Italy “Pleased to meet EU” Comenius project PRE-PRIMARY EDUCATIONPre-primary education is organized in scuola dell’infanzia (nursery school).It lasts 3 years and is addressed to children from 3 to 6 years of age and it isn’t compulsory.These nursery schools are co-educational establishments and may be located on the samepremises as primary schools or on separate premises. They are the only type of pre-school inboth the State and non-State sectors.
4. Education system in Italy “Pleased to meet EU” Comenius project FIRST CYCLE OF EDUCATIONPrimary Education and part of Secondary Education is in the so called first cycle.First cycle of education (length: 8 years), is organized in Primary Education for childrenbetween 6 and 11 years of age, which lasts 5 years, and Lower Secondary school for childrenbetween 11 and 14 years of age, lasting 3 years.
5. Education system in Italy “Pleased to meet EU” Comenius project PRIMARY EDUCATIONPrimary school and lower secondary school are two different education levels, each with its ownspecificities, even though they are part of only one school cycle (first cycle).Primary school is compulsory and lasts 5 years (from 6 to 11). It consists of a first year that servesas a transition from nursery school and two successive periods of two years. Primary education isprovided at legally recognized State and non-State schools. Enrolment and (compulsory)attendance are free of charge at State.The municipality provides all pupils with textbooks free of charge. Transport and school mealservices are always managed by the municipality, but the families are requested to makecontributions, except for some exemptions.
6. Education system in Italy “Pleased to meet EU” Comenius project SECONDARY EDUCATION (Lower and upper secondary level) (1)Secondary education is divided into two different levels:- the lower secondary level (scuola secondaria di primo grado), which foresees a length of 3 years(from 11 to 14 years of age);- the upper secondary level of education, called “second cycle of education” (secondo ciclo diistruzione), which is made up of the upper secondary school called (scuola secondaria di secondogrado) falling under the responsibility of the State, and the vocational and training system fallingunder the responsibility of the Regions.
7. Education system in Italy LOWER SECONDARY EDUCATION “Pleased to meet EU” Comenius project (scuola secondaria di primo grado)The lower secondary education: - is aimed at fostering the ability to study autonomously and at strengthening the pupils’attitudes towards social interaction [...];- is characterized by the different teaching and methodology approaches according to thedevelopment of the pupils’ personalities […];- progressively develops choice skills and abilities according to the pupils’ aptitudes andinclinations […];- helps to orientate oneself in the future choice within education and training.It is attended by pupils between 11 and 14 years of age. This level of education is provided atpublic schools and at legally recognized private schools.
8. Education system in Italy SECONDARY EDUCATION “Pleased to meet EU” Comenius project (Lower and upper secondary level) (2)The State upper secondary education is offered by the licei, the technical institutes, the vocationalinstitutes, and the arts institutes. The overall length of study is 5 years (from 14 to 19 years of age)both in the licei and in the technical institutes, except for the liceo specialising in arts subjects whichoffers a course of study of 4 years plus an additional year.Vocational institutes and arts institutes offer courses lasting either 3 or 5 years.Education is compulsory up to 16 years of age. The last two years of compulsory education (first twoyears of upper secondary education) can be fulfilled in all upper secondary school pathways.The lower secondary level of education is compulsory, which means that enrolment and attendanceare free of charge. Families are required to pay for the textbooks.
9. Education system in Italy UPPER SECONDARY SCHOOL “Pleased to meet EU” Comenius project (scuola secondaria di secondo grado) (1)Upper secondary education is in the second cycle of education.This cycle encompasses the liceo (artistic, classic, economic, linguistic, musical, scientific,technological, human sciences) of State competence and the vocational education and trainingsystem of Regional competence.The schools belonging to the general type of upper secondary education are:- classical liceo;- scientific liceo;- artistic liceo;- social-psycho-pedagogical liceo;- technical institutes schools;- vocational institutes;- art institutes.
10. Education system in Italy UPPER SECONDARY SCHOOL (scuola secondaria di secondo grado) “Pleased to meet EU” Comenius project (2)Education offered by the licei aims at preparing students for university studies and for otherpost-secondary pathways, whereas education offered by the liceo specialising in arts subjectsaims at teaching art.The classical and scientific Liceo have a unified structure (lasting five years) which are split intotwo and three year sections. In the classical Liceo, the teaching is predominantly classical andhumanistic. The scientific Liceo places the emphasis on scientific training, particularly during thelast three years.The technical education give pupils specific theoretical and practical preparation for skilled tasks(vocational education) and preparation for work and artistic production (artistic education) invarious sectors, with particular attention to the requirements of the local labour market.The Istituti professionali (vocational colleges) cover three-year sectors and the followingvocational studies: agriculture, industry and crafts, services, auxiliary sanitary and the specialsector.The istituti d’arte (arts institutes) prepare pupils for work andartistic production, according to local industries and materials.
11. Education system in Italy “Pleased to meet EU” Comenius project UNIVERSITY HIGHER EDUCATIONThe university teaching system foresees an organization of the courses to obtain the 1st and 2ndcycle qualifications:- three-year laurea (L) course (1st cycle);- two-year laurea specialistica/magistrale course (2nd cycle);- first-level Diploma di specializzazione courses, whose duration can vary (2nd cycle);- first-level Master universitario course, lasting at least one year (2nd cycle);- 3rd cycle for the Research Doctorate courses, lasting three years.Students finish their study course when they have passed all the examinations listed on the studyplan, have obtained the required number of credits and have presented and discussed their finalthesis during an examination.
12. Our Lower Secondary school “V. Mennella” Institute - Lacco Ameno - Italy “Pleased to meet EU” Comenius project Weekly lessons Subject 1° class 2° class 3° classItalian 6 6 6History, Geography, Citizenship and Constitution 4 4 41° Foreign language (English) 3 3 32° Foreign language (German) 2 2 2Maths and Science 6 6 6Art 2 2 2Music 2 2 2Phisical Education 2 2 2Tecnology 2 2 2Religion 1 1 1Musical Instrument (optional) 2 2 2
13. Our Lower Secondary school “V. Mennella” Institute - Lacco Ameno - Italy State Exam and Competences Certification “Pleased to meet EU” Comenius project Subject Exam Italian Written and oral Maths Written and oral Science Oral 1° Foreign language (English) Written and oral 2° Foreign language (German) Written and oral Art Oral Music Oral Phisical Education Oral Tecnology Oral Musical Instrument (optional) Oral Education Ministry national test on: Italian language comprehension, logic maths Written and geometryAt the end of the third year of the Lower Secondary school and afterthe State exam the students receive a Competences CertificationPortfolio. Click on to see our certification model