1. Resource Information on Careers<br />O*NET<br />The O*NET system serves as the nation's primary source of occupational information, providing comprehensive information on key attributes and characteristics of workers and occupations. The O*NET database houses this data and O*NET OnLine provides easy access to that information.<br />http://online.onetcenter.org/ <br />Iowa Public Television - Schools to Careers<br />School to Careers is a career development project for 7-12th grade students, educators and parents. Through video, Web and interactive activities students are introduced to career professionals, projects and ideas that help them identify their interests and plan for their futures.<br />http://www.careers.iptv.org/ <br />Apprenticeships <br />Registered Apprenticeship is a critical postsecondary education training and employment option available in every state in the country. It is an important component of talent development strategies. Registered Apprenticeship is business and industry-driven, with more than 29,000 programs impacting 250,000 employers and almost 450,000 apprentices in such industries as: construction, manufacturing, transportation, telecommunications, information technology, biotechnology, retail, health care, the military, utilities, security and the public sector.<br />http://www.iowaworkforce.org/apprenticeship/ <br />Internships<br />Businesses <br />The Iowa Student Internship Program provides grants to small and medium sized companies in the advanced manufacturing, biosciences, and information technology industries to help support their internship programs with a goal of transitioning the interns to full-time employment in the state upon graduation.<br />http://www.iowalifechanging.com/business/ic/internship_program.aspx <br />Students <br />IowaIntern.com, provides an exciting environment for Iowa college students and recent graduates to connect with local employers. <br /> http://www.iowaintern.com/ided <br />Institute for Women in Trades, Technology and Science (IWITTS)<br /><ul><li>35 Career Videos of Role Models (http://www.womentechstore.com/careervids.html) feature women in tech, trades and science occupations.
2. SciGirls videos and activity guides make science colorful and fun with science for girls, by girls (http://www.womentechstore.com/scigirls.html).
3. WonderWise: Women in Science Kits provide 9 real women scientists as role models for female students (http://www.womentechstore.com/wonderwise.html)
4. The WomenTech Digital Library (http://www.iwitts.com/html/calwomentech_digitallibrary.html) contains research-based articles for educators to recruit and retain more women into the technology classroom.
5. Picocrickets are a girl-friendly kit that teaches girls robotics, engineering and programming skills (http://www.womentechstore.com/picocricket.html)
6. Because most women (and men!) that currently enter the technology or trades classroom haven’t had informal experience with tools outside the classroom, our Tool Identification Videos can help introduce them to tool use as well as give them an understanding of 6 exciting technical careers (http://www.womentechstore.com/toolid.html).
8. We have an online community where female technicians can connect with one another (http://www.womentechworld.org). The community includes 50 role model biographies in fields ranging from electronic technician to software developer to welder, free e-mentoring, and the WomenTech Talk listserv where over 500 women connect with one another daily and through monthly expert panel discussions on career topics.</li></ul>Technology Association of Iowa<br />HyperStream <br />The Technology Association of Iowa Educational Foundation has developed and tested a technology career awareness program - HyperStream - to support its key initiative of developing Iowa's future technology workforce. TAI member companies and their employees will be the driving force in encouraging Iowa 8th–12th graders to pursue post-secondary technology education to prepare for Iowa tech careers. Through active partnership between business and education, Ambassador companies will work directly with educators and students by mentoring, starting HyperStream Clubs and supporting hands-on projects. Ambassadors will directly develop our future technology leaders and contribute to the community. This is NOT a career day presentation but a long-term program in which Ambassadors and students/educators work together throughout the year and ongoing.<br />http://www.hyperstream.org/ <br />American Society of Mechanical Engineers<br />E-Mentors Provide Career Guidance<br />You can ask career questions, get a perspective on the day-to-day issues you face in the workplace, and learn about different career options and more. It depends on your own individual needs. A mentor can help you get the right training, find the right niche in mechanical engineering or introduce you to a non-traditional career path. It could also help you to transition more easily into the working world or change engineering fields. EMentoring transcends geographic boundaries and time constraints you can meet online anytime, even if you are in different time zones or countries.<br />http://www.asme.org/Jobs/Mentoring/Ementoring_Early_Career.cfm <br />Iowa Bioprocessing Center<br />The Iowa Bioprocess Training Center in Eddyville, operated by Indian Hills Community College is a unique facility. It's the only center in the nation that is designed specifically to meet the biotechnology training needs of the value-added agriculture industry.<br />http://www.iowabiocenter.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=60<br />Iowa Biotechnology Association (IBA)<br />The Iowa Biotechnology Association (IBA) was formed in 1994 to advance opportunities in Iowa for the improvement of the human environmental and economic well-being through the development and application of value-added technologies in the life sciences. Working cooperatively, the members hope to enhance the ability to commercialize new technologies in a timely manner and reduce the lead time for deployment. Activities of the association are designed to give companies doing business in Iowa an edge in delivering timely new products to consumers through the sharing of ideas regarding the transfer and development of technologies<br />http://www.iowabiotech.com/<br />BioSpace, Inc<br />BioSpace's Career Talk (formerly askHR): New and improved online interactive forum. Now ask your questions about biotech and pharmaceutical jobs and get a quick response via the Career Talk Online Forum! The Career Talk Forum in conjunction with Kelly Scientific is a great way to get your life science career questions answered by biotech and pharmaceutical human resources and staffing professionals, as well as your peers within the BioSpace scientific community. Whether you want to ask a question or share your experience, the new interactive BioSpace Career Talk Forum is a quick and easy way to find the answers you are looking for.<br />http://www.biospace.com/resources.aspx <br />The Advanced Manufacturing Research and Collaboration Cluster<br />Iowa Virtual Reality Educational Pathfinder<br />Through the use of donated computer-assisted design (CAD) equipment, I-VREP introduces students (grades 9-12), parents, teachers, counselors, and school administrators to virtual reality (VR) and actualization technology, industrial applications, career pathways, and industry mentors. Students research and design their own VR programs as well as work with a staff member to create an education program that can be used to enhance an educational concept being taught. Students are required to develop at least one new educational concept each nine weeks.<br />http://www.amrcc.com/ <br />Project Lead the Way Iowa<br />Project Lead The Way Inc. (PLTW) is a national program forming partnerships among Public Schools, Higher Education Institutions and the Private Sector to increase the quantity and quality of engineers and engineering technologists graduating from our education system. First developed in the 1980’s by Richard Blais who was then chairman of the Technology Department of an upstate New York school district, PLTW is now offered in over 45 states and the District of Columbia.<br />http://www.pltwiowa.org/ <br />Iowa Association of Business and Industry (ABI)<br />Business Horizons<br />Business Horizons (BH) is a one-of-a-kind, hands-on, action-oriented weeklong summer program for high school students who want to learn about the world of business and what the future holds for them. Our mission is to promote the value of the free enterprise system through leadership, teamwork, entrepreneurial activities, and personal development opportunities. BH has enjoyed over 20 successful years of educating young people about economics, the free enterprise system, entrepreneurship, skills they need to be successful in today's workplace, and about opportunities available in the state of Iowa.<br />http://www.businesshorizonsiowa.com/ <br />National Association of Manufacturer's (NAM)<br />Dream IT Do IT<br />The idea behind Dream It. Do It. is simple: Whatever it is young people are passionate about, be it cars or computers or music or even art, they can find a great career doing it in today's advanced manufacturing. But, in order to attract the country's best and brightest to one of manufacturing's many exciting sectors - from biotechnology to computer software - it must overcome some negative stereotypes and offer students a chance to follow their interests. http://www.dreamit-doit.com/ <br />Pella Corporation<br />PEERS (Pella Engineering Educational Resources for Schools)<br />The PEERS Mission is to provide opportunities to lean about the fun and rewarding profession of engineering. This program assists in preparation for a successful career by helping to develop engineering related skills. <br />http://blogs.pella.k12.ia.us/peers/ <br />FIRST LEGO League Iowa<br />FIRST LEGO League (FLL) is an international program, created by FIRST and LEGO, designed to get children interested in and excited about science, technology and engineering. Every year, FIRST releases a new challenge that engages the teams in hands-on robotics design and scientific research. The theme for the challenge is different each year, allowing teams to learn about a variety of subjects.<br />http://www.isek.iastate.edu/fll/ <br />http://www.usfirst.org/ <br />IT Adventures<br />IT-Adventures is an innovative program that engages Iowa high school students in exploration and experimentation with information technology (IT) through instructional material delivery, competitive events and service learning projects.<br />http://www.it-adventures.org/ <br />IT Olympics<br />The IT-Olympics provide an opportunity for those students who participated in the IT-Clubs throughout the year to showcase the knowledge and skills they have acquired.<br />http://www.it-adventures.org/itolympics.html <br />State Science and Technology Fair of Iowa<br />The State Science and Technology Fair of Iowa (SSTFI) has grown to become the largest science fair in Iowa and is recognized as one of the outstanding state science fairs in the nation. Student representatives of the State Science and Technology Fair of Iowa have won many top honors at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) and have attracted national attention with their research. <br />The SSTFI is helping Iowa by creating an interest in our future employees in the science and technology industries. These student exhibitors become our future engineers, scientists, agronomic consultants, meteorologists, computer programmers, genetic researchers, doctors and nurses. Each year, the State Science and Technology Fair of Iowa provides hundreds of Iowa students opportunities to explore science and technology through a hands-on research process and the inspiration to prepare themselves for professions which are rich in these disciplines.<br />http://www.sciencefairofiowa.org/ <br />Iowa Workforce Development<br />WorkKeys System<br />WorkKeys® is a workplace skills analysis and assessment system developed by American College Testing (ACT) to help business and industry match workers with appropriate jobs and manage human resources more effectively.<br />http://www.iowaworkforce.org/centers/workkeys.htm <br />Workplace Learning Connection<br />The Workplace Learning Connection brings together students from Cedar, Benton, Iowa, Jones, Linn, Johnson and Washington counties in east central Iowa looking for career information and connects them to area business professionals who are interested in preparing our region's future employees. <br />http://www.kirkwood.edu/site/index.php?d=860 <br />Student Career Connection<br />We provide opportunities where students can discover, explore and learn about their future careers by connecting them to the world of business through workplace learning experiences. Students that participate in workplace learning experiences are more engaged as learners and more likely to discover and pursue a potential career while in high school. We want to grow our future workforce by helping students be college and career ready when they graduate.<br />http://studentcareerconnection.org/ <br />Iowa Career Hub<br />The Iowa Career Hub is devoted to raising career awareness among Iowans of all ages & walks of life. Please use this forum to ask questions and browse our resources. This initiative and page is run by the Iowa Coalition of Innovation & Growth (ICIG).<br />http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Iowa-Career-Hub/94448374478?ref=ts <br />