This lesson does not denyGod the Father or God theHoly Spirit or make Them tobe any less significant in anyway.
It is presented, however, tostir up your minds and heartsto study and to appreciateand be on fire for Jesus.
There are many thoughts and notions about Jesus.There are many beliefs andmisconceptions about Jesus.
There are many references to Jesus outside the Bible.Josephus (37-101 AD)Thallus (52 AD)Tacitus (56-120 AD)Pliny the Younger (61-113 AD)Seutonius (69-140 AD)Mara Bar-Serapion (70 AD)Phlegon (80-140 AD)Lucian of Samosata (115-200 AD)Celsus (175 AD)The Jewish Talmud (400-700 AD)The Quran (610-632 AD)The Toledot (1000 AD)
1. Is Jesus merely a Good Man?Many people think Jesus is just a good man.The Bible and other references teach us Jesuswent about doing good.Acts 10:38 (You know of) Jesus ofNazareth, how God anointed Him with the HolySpirit and with power, and (how) He went aboutdoing good, and healing all who were oppressedby the devil...
1. Is Jesus merely a Good Man?If Jesus is just a good man, then by the thingsHe said, He is a liar.John 14:6 “ I am the way, and the truth and thelife; no one comes to the Father but throughme.”
1. Is Jesus merely a Good Man?John 8:55-56 “and you have not come to knowHim, but I know Him; and if I say that I do notknow Him, I shall be a liar like you, but I do knowHim, and keep His word....”1 John 1:10 If we say that we have notsinned, we make Him a liar. And His word is notin us...Heb. 6:18 ...it is impossible for God to lie... We know He is not a liar.
2. Is Jesus merely a prophet?Those who proclaimed Gods word byinspiration were prophets.Heb. 1:1-2 God, after He spoke long ago tothe fathers in the prophets in many ways, inthese last days has spoken to us in (His) Son...Even Islam acknowledges Jesus is a prophet.The Qur’an
2. Is Jesus merely a prophet?The Samaritan woman at the well.John 4:19 The woman said to Him, “Sir”, “Iperceive that You are a prophet...”On the day of Pentecost, Peter quotes fromDeut. 18:19.Acts 3:22 “Moses said, THE LORD GODSHALL RAISE UP FOR YOU A PROPHETLIKE ME FROM YOUR BRETHREN...”
3. Is Jesus a little or sub-god?The Jehovahs Witnesses believe Jesus is acreated being.Aid to Bible Understanding p. 918They also believe Jesus is Michael theArchangel.Aid to Bible Understanding p. 1152They believe He is not God. Not Deity.The Word-Who Is He? p. 40
4. Who Then is Jesus?Col. 1:16 For by Him all things were created, (both) in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities – all things have been created by Him and for Him.
4. Who Then is Jesus?Gen. 1:1- In the beginning, God created...and God said...and God said...and God said...(the Creator and the Word of God)John 1:1-3; 14 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being by Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. v.14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us... (the Word of God becomes Jesus)
4. Who Then is Jesus? God the Father calls Him God, Lord, Son, and Creator.Heb. 1:5-11 For to which of the angels did He ever say, “ THOU ART MY SON, TODAY I HAVE BEGOTTEN THEE?” Ps. 2:7 and again, “I WILL BE A FATHER TO HIM, AND HE SHALL BE A SON ME?” 2 Sam. 7:14 v. 8 But of the Son (He Says), “THY THRONE, OH GOD, IS FOREVER AND EVER.” Ps. 45:6 v. 10-11 and, “THOU, LORD IN THE BEGINNING DIDST LAY THE FOUNDATION OF THE EARTH, AND THE HEAVENS ARE THE WORKS OF THY HANDS. THEY WILL PERISH, BUT THOU REMAINEST...” Ps. 45:7; 102:25-26
5. Jesus is the God of the Old TestamentJesus is the Creator.Gen. 1:1- In the beginning God created...and God said...and God said...John 1:3 All things came into being by Him...Heb. 1:10 “...AND THE HEAVENS ARE THE WORKS OF THY HANDS...” Ps. 102:25Rev. 3:14 (Jesus speaking to John) “And to the angel of the church in Ladodicea write: The Amen, the faithful and true Witness, The Beginning *lit. source or origin* of the creation of God, says this...”
5. Jesus is the God of the Old Testament When God speaks it is the Word of God. The Word of God is Jesus John 1:1; Rev. 19:11-13Talking to Adam, Eve and the serpent in the garden.Gen. 3:8-24 Then the LORD God called to the man, and said to him, “Where are you?”...v. 11 And He said, “Who told you that you were naked?”...v. 13 Then the LORD God said to the woman,...v. 14 And the LORD God said to the serpent,...v. 16 To the woman He said,...v. 17 Then to Adam He said,...
5. Jesus is the God of the Old TestamentHe is the God of Abram at the covenant ofcircumcision.Gen. 17:1 Now when Abram was ninety-nineyears old, the LORD appeared to Abram andsaid, “I am God Almighty: Walk before Me andbe blameless...”
5. Jesus is the God of the Old TestamentHe is Abrahams guest before the destruction ofSodom and Gomorrah.Gen. 18:1-; 19:1- Now the LORD appeared tohim by the Oaks of Mamre while he was sitting atthe tent door... v. 2 and he lifted up his eyes, andlooked, behold three men were standing oppositehim; and when he saw (them), he ran from thetent door to meet them, and he bowed himself tothe earth... v. 17 And the LORD said, “Shall I hidefrom Abraham what I am about to do...?v. 33 And as soon as He had finished speakingto Abraham the LORD departed. Ch. 19:1 Nowthe two angels came to Sodom in the morning...
5. Jesus is the God of the Old TestamentTalking to Moses in the burning bush.Ex. 3:14-15 And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM”, and He said, “thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, I AM has sent me to you.” And God, furthermore, said to Moses, “Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Issac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is My name forever, and this is My memorial-name to all generations.”
5. Jesus is the God of the Old TestamentHe speaks to Job.Job 38 to 41 The the LORD answered Job out ofthe whirlwind and said, “Who is this that darkenscouncil by words without knowledge?...v. 4 “Where were you when I laid the foundationof the earth...”and He goes on to tell Job of all the creation inthe next chapters.
5. Jesus is the God of the Old TestamentHe is the One who protects Shadrach, Meshachand Abed-nego in the fiery furnace.Dan. 3:24-25 Then Nebuchadnezzar the kingwas astonished and stood up in haste; heresponded and said to his high officials, “Was itnot three men we cast bound into the midst of thefire?” They answered him and said to theking, “Certainly, O king.” He answered andsaid, “Look! I see four men loosed (and) walking(about) in the midst of the fire without harm, andthe appearance of the fourth is like a son of (the)gods. Ref. Jer. 1:8, 19; 15:21 I am with you todeliver you.
6. Jesus is the God of the New TestamentJesus birth foretold to Mary.Luke 1:30-35 v. 31-35 “And behold, you willconceive in your womb, and bear a son, and youshall name Him Jesus. He will be great, and willbe called the Son of the Most High; and the LordGod will give Him the throne of His father David;and He will reign over the house of Jacobforever; and His kingdom will have no end.”v. 35 “... and for that reason the holy offspringshall be called the Son of God.”
6. Jesus is the God of the New TestamentAgain the Samaritan woman at the well.Remember she called Him a prophet earlier inthe lesson?John 4:25-26 The woman said to Him, “I knowthat Messiah is coming (He who is called Christ);when that One comes, He will declare all thingsto us.” Jesus said to her, “I who speak to you am(he).”
6. Jesus is the God of the New TestamentHealing the lame man on the Sabbath.John 5:18 For this cause the Jews were seekingall the more to kill Him, because He not only wasbreaking the Sabbath, but was also calling GodHis own Father,making Himself equal with God.
6. Jesus is the God of the New TestamentAfter the episode with the adulterous womanwhen He was speaking to the Jews.John 8:1-, 18, 23-24, 57-58 v. 18 “I am He whobears witness of Myself, and the Father bearswitness of Me.”v. 23-24 “You are from below, I am from above;you are of this world, I am not of this world. I saidtherefore to you, that you shall die in your sins; forunless you believe that I am (He), you shall die inyour sins.”v. 57-58 The Jews therefore said to Him, “You arenot yet fifty years old, and have You seenAbraham?” Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I sayto you, before Abraham was born, I am.”
6. Jesus is the God of the New TestamentWhen Jesus is before Caiaphas at His trial.Matt. 26:63-64; Mark 14:61-62; Luke 22:67-70But Jesus kept silent, and the high priest said toHim, “I adjure You by the living God, that You tellus whether You are the Christ, the Son of God.”Jesus said to him, “You have said it (yourself);nevertheless, I tell you, hereafter you shall seeTHE SON OF MAN SITTING AT THE RIGHTHAND OF POWER,... Ps. 110:1 The LORD saysto my Lord, “Sit at My right hand...” “and COMINGIN THE CLOUDS OF HEAVEN.” Dan. 7:13
6. Jesus is the God of the New TestamentAfter the resurrection speaking to Thomas.John 20:27-28 Then He said to Thomas, “Reachhere your finger, and see My hands, and reachhere your hand, and put it into My side; and be notunbelieving, but believing.” Thomas answeredand said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”
6. Jesus is the God of the New TestamentBefore Jesus ascension to heaven.Matt. 28:18 And Jesus came up and spoke tothem, saying,“All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth...”
6. Jesus is the God of the New TestamentAt the stoning of Stephen.Acts 7:56, 59 v. 56 and he said, “Behold I see theheavens opened up and the Son of Man standingat the right hand of God.”v. 59 and they went on stoning Stephen as hecalled upon (the Lord) and said, “LordJesus, receive my spirit.”
6. Jesus is the God of the New TestamentSaul on the road to Damascus.Acts 9:1-6 v. 4 and he fell to the ground, andheard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why areyou persecuting Me?”v. 5 And he said, “Who art thou, Lord?” And He(said), “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting...”
7. Jesus is the God of all time and eternityGen. 1 He is the CreatorPhil. 2:6-8 Who, although He existed in the formof God, did not regard equality with God a thing tobe grasped, but emptied Himself, taking on theform of a bond-servant, (and) being made in thelikeness of men, and being found in appearanceas a man, He humbled Himself by becomingobedient to the point of death, even death on across.
7. Jesus is the God of all time and eternityAgain John 8:58 “Truly, truly, I say to you, beforeAbraham was born, I am.”Rev. 22:13 “I am the Alpha and the Omega, thefirst and the last, the beginning and the end.”
Jesus is God!Jesus is the God of the Old and New Testaments!Jesus is the God of all time and eternity!
THE BRIGHT MORNING STAR (Rev. 22:16)THE CREATOR (Gen. 1, et al)OUR DELIVERER (Rom 11.26 et al)ELOHIM (Gen. 1)EL-SHADDAI (Gen. 17:1 et al)THE HOLY ONE (Acts 2:27 et al)THE GREAT I AM (Ex. 3:14, John. 8:58)IMMANUEL (Isaiah 7:14)JEHOVAH (Ps 83:18 et al)KING of KINGS (1 Tim. 6:15, Rev. 19:16)THE LAMB of GOD (John 1:29)LORD of LORDS (1 Tim. 6:15, Rev. 19:16)THE MESSIAH (John 4:25 et al)OUR PASSOVER LAMB (1 Cor. 5:7)OUR REDEEMER (Job 19:25)THE RIGHTEOUS ONE (1 John 2:1)THE TRUE LIGHT (John 1:9)THE TRUE WITNESS (Rev. 3:14)
Rev. 19:11-13And I saw heaven opened; and behold, a whitehorse, and He who sat upon it (is) calledFaithful and True; and in righteousness Hejudges and wages war. And His eyes (are) aflame of fire, and upon His head (are) manydiadems; and He has a name written (uponHim) which no one knows except Himself. And(He is) clothed with a white robe dipped inblood; and His name is called The Word of God.
Rom. 9:5 They are the descendants of our greatfathers, and they are the earthly family of the Messiah, Who is God over all things. Praise Him forever! Amen.
Isaiah 9:6For a child will be born to us, a son will be given tous; and the government will rest on His shoulders; and His name will be called WONDERFUL COUNSELOR, MIGHTY GOD, ETERNAL FATHER, PRINCE Of PEACE.
Rev. 1:8I am the Alpha and the Omega, says the LordGod, who is and who was and who is to come,THE ALMIGHTY.Let us all give HIM praise!