2. OverviewPower of Self-LeadershipLeadership Styles: Strongman Transactor Visionary Leader  Super leaderComparison of LeadershipLeadership of Today and Tomorrow
3. Unleashing the power of Self-Leadership
4. Who is the Leader?A person who determines the course of a ship.
5. Traditional Vs Modern Leaders In traditional leadership In modern approach, leadership approach, Leader is a boss or hero  Leader creates self- at center stage. leaders. He is a primary pillar of strength.  He creates pillars of strength
6. The changing WorldIn todays changing world, work place is beset by changes.Death of hierarchyBoundary less organizationsModel companies are practicing 3 big D’s: Downsizing Delayering Decentralizing
7. These changes have transformed the concept of leadership from Boss-Rex to Super leaders.Who is Boss-Rex?Who is a Super Leader?
8. Key practices of Horizontal OrganizationsFlattened OrganizationsKey work processesReasonable authorityRewarding on relevant skillsMeasuring organizational performanceRegular communicationSignificant information
9. Unconventional leadership of Ricardo Semler “Before you can lead others Learn to lead yourself”
10. Semler’s approach towards leadershipWorkers set their own hours.Some workers set their own salaries.There are no receptionists.There are no office walls.Managers are evaluated by their employees.Employees vote on all major decisions.
11. The StrongmanTraditional Boss-Rex Leader.Leads through commands.Relies on position power.
12. Off With His Head !Boss-Rex’s Leadership costs his job.Richard Synder; Former CEO of Simon & Schuster
13. Strongman BehaviorsCommand and DirectionAssigned goalsIntimidationReprimand
14. 1. Command and Direction: Commanding others. Self proclaimed king or queen. Commander, Director, Boss-Rex
15. 2. Assigned Goals: Concerned with the achievement of goals. Identifying poor subordinate performance.
16. 3. Intimidation: Foundation for exerting influence. Shouting on employees. Knocking over a piece of furniture. Coldly staring down an employee.
17. 4. Reprimand: Punishing subordinates . Verbal attack Distasteful job assignment A cut in pay Demotion
18. Followers of the strongmanyes-men or yes-persons.Lack of creativity and innovation.Focus on guessing the leader.
19. The TransactorMost common type of leadership practiced today.Focus on power of rewards.
20. Transactor Behaviors.Interactive goal settingContingent personal rewardContingent material rewardContingent Reprimand
21. 1. Interactive goal setting: Challenging but realistic goals. A system for allocating rewards.
22. 2. Contingent personal reward: Intangible rewards. They include; Praise and recognition  Pat on the back
23. 3. Contingent material reward: Monetary rewards are more powerful. They include: Pay raises Promotion opportunities Bonuses
24. 4. Contingent Reprimand:Guidelines to reprimand in effective manner: Praise in public, punish in private. Reprimand following the behavior. Focus on undesirable behavior, not the person. Make sure the desired behavior is made clear.
25. Followers of the transactorFollowers are sensitive to rewards.They are skilled calculators.No concern for continuous improvement.“What is in it for me?”
26. The Visionary Hero“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, than to …live in the great twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.’’ Theodore Roosevelt
27. Follow ME !!!Visionary heroes are basically inspiring.They are effective in two situations:Time of crises.Major organizational changes.
28. Visionary Hero’s BehaviorCommunication of leader’s visionEmphasis of the leader’s valuesExhortationInspirational persuasion
29. 1. Communication of the leader vision: Create and communicate vision Purposeful Vision Connection to historical points or current issues
30. 2.Emphasis of the leader values: What are values? How leader’s values help the followers? “Ethical values are more important than monetary values.”
31. 3.Exhortation and Inspirational Persuasion: Speech is a vehicle. Exhortation exemplifies the process. Combine the words to create energy and emotions.
32. Followers of Visionary HeroesEnthusiastic.Dependent on leaders.Willing to go above and beyond the call of duty.
33. First 3 Leadership StylesControl OthersGive them DirectionOn the Basis of high knowledge
34. The Super Leader Dwight Eisenhower said.’’More you develop people now, the greater will be your confidence in them when you thrust bigger’’
35. Who is Super Leader?Leading others to lead themselvesCreating the Company of Heroes
36. Super Leader BehaviorMastering and Modeling Self-leadershipFacilitating the transition of Self-leadershipFostering teamworkFacilitating the Self-leadership culture
37. Mastering and Modeling Self- leadership What is self-leadership? Strategies to master self-leaders 1. Motivation 2. Constructive thinking 3. Enjoyment Demonstrate Model
38. Mastering and Modeling in influence followers in underlying aspects: Personal Responsibility Initiative Taking Self Motivation Continuous Improvement
39. Facilitating the Transition of Followers to Self-Leadership Delegate tasks Ignore some honest mistakes Challenging goals Training opportunities Feedback opportunity
40. Fostering TeamworkPrimary sources of fostering teamwork Capability Knowledge Experience
41. Facilitating a Self-Leadership Culture What is Culture?
43. Super Leaders develop the followers: Independent and Interdependent Sense of ownership Pride in their work Takes reasonable risk Continuous improvement
44. Developed followers of the Super leaders become:Self leadersEffectiveEmpoweredConfident
45. Leadership Comparison Two SituationsCompliance vs. Commitment Degree of Urgency (high or low)
46. Compliance alone, transactor or strong manCompliance with urgency, strong manCommitment alone, visionary or superleaderCommitment with urgency, visionary
47. Leadership of PastOne individual held the central position
48. Leadership of today and Tomorrow Involvement of all the human resources
49. Now a days Organization needs Knowledge Creativity Experience WisdomAll these things comes from Super leaders