1.- Complete the following sentences about the economy and population grow from the 14th
• Cities had the most economic power because _____________________
• In the 15th
centuries, the economy became prosperous because _______________
• The crisis in Europe at the end of the Middle Ages was caused by ______________
• Financial transactions became easier because of ___________________
2.- Look at the following chart and answer the question.
How did the population of Europe evolve between the 14th
3.- Make a diagram about the authoritarian monarchies in the 15th
4.- Answer the following questions about the Spanish kingdoms.
• What territories were there in the Iberian Peninsula?
• What happened in the Crown of Castile in the 15th
• What happened when king Henry IV died in 1474?
• What happened after five years of civil war in Castile?
• Which king of Aragon died in 1410 with no heirs?
• Who was named king of Aragón in 1412?
• Who were Ferdinand and Isabella?
• What happened in 1469?
• What happened in 1477?
• When did Fernando become king of Aragón?
• What was the consequence of the marriage between Ferdinand and Isabella?
• How did the Catholic Monarchs govern their territories?
• Who inherited the throne of Castile after Isabella´s death in 1504?
• What was the role of Ferdinand after Isabella´s death?
• Who took over Castile and Aragon Crowns in 1516?
5.- Make a diagram about the Catholic Monarchs´ domestic policies.
6.- Make a diagram about the Catholic Monarchs´religious unity.
7.- Write three lines about the Black Death.
1.- Answer the following questions about the Reformation. (1 point)
1. What did the Pope Leo X do in 1515?
2. Who was Martin Luther?What did Martin Luther write? What did he say there?
3. What did the pope do with Martin Luther then?
4. What is the name of the religious movement created by Martin Luther?
5. What religious movement was found by John Calvin?
6. What is the theory of predestination about?
7. Where did this movement appear?
8. What is the name of the church created by Henry VIII of England?
9. Why did Henry VIII of England create his own church?
10. Who would be the head of this church instead the Pope?
2.- Answer the following questions about the Revolt of Comuneros.
1. Where was Charles V born?
2. When did he came to Spain?
3. Could he speak Spanish?
4. Who helped him with the government? Where were they from?
5. What did he spend the Castilian money on?
6. What was the Castilians´ reaction?
7. Did Charles V anger just the Castilian cities?
8. Why were cities annoyed?
9. Why were the nobles annoyed?
10. What was the name given to the cities?
11. Who started the Revolt of the Comuneros?
12. Who supported the revolt?
13. What was the first city to rebel? When? Who was its leader?
14. How long were the rebels successful?
15. Why did the nobles fought against the rebels?
16. Where and when was the last battle fought?
17. Who won the battle?
18. Who were the leaders of the revolt? What happened to them?
19. What was Charles V attitude after the revolt?
20. What position did the nobles have in the government?
3.- Find a word for the following definitions about Philip II´s reign:
1. City were Philip II installed the court._______________
2. Alliance formed by Spain, the Pope and Venice in order to defeat the Turks in the
3. Religion defended by Philip II._______________
4. Religion spread to the Low Countries._______________
5. Name of the queen of England who supported the rebels in the Low Countries against Philip
6. Name of Philip II´s monarchy, as he considered Spain to be the centre of his
7. Crown claimed by Philip II as his mother was born there and the king died leaving no
8. Territory of the Low Countries which rebelled against Philip II and declared their independence
9. Country which was always the rival of Spain during Philip II´s reign._______________
10. People defeated by an alliance at the Battle of Lepanto in 1571._______________
4.- Answer the following questions:
1. Who succeeded Philip II in 1598?
2. Who was the Duke of Lerma? What did he do?
3. Explain Philip III´s pacifist foreign policy.
4. Why did Philip III declared bankruptcy in 1607?
5. What was the most important event in Philip III´s domestic policy? Explain it.
6. Who was Philip III´s successor?
7. Who was Philip IV´s favourite?
8. What did Philip IV´s favourite´s objectives in the domestic policy.
5.- Answer the following questions about the Thirty Years´ War.
1. Define The ThirtyYears´ War.
2. How did this wear begin?
3. Who did Ferdinand II ask for help?
4. What was the result of this aid?
5. Who supported the rebels?
6. What was the result of this support?
7. What catholic country allied itself with the Protestants in 1635?
8. Were Spanish troops able to contend with so many enemies?
9. What treaty was signed in 1648?
10. What did it mean?
6.- Answer the following questions about Charles II.
1. How old was Charles II when he inherited the throne in 1665?
2. Who ruled as regent until 1675, when the king came on age?
3. How old was Charles II when he became king?
4. Why couldn´t Charles II rule?
5. Who ran the government instead of Charles II?
6. Why did Charles II´s death marked the end of the Spanish branch of the House of Austria?
7. Who occupied the throne at the end?
7.- Find the word for the following definitions about the Spanish empire.
1. America was the starting point for expeditions to the _____________________.
2. Name of the institution which carried out trade with America._____________________
3. Conqueror of the Aztec Empire._____________________
4. He discovered the Amazon._____________________
5. The discovery of this things helped the king to finance their empire._____________________
6. They performed manual work, largely in agriculture.
7. People who occupied the highest positions in society in the Indies._____________________
8. Charles V created the _____________________ of Indies to advise the king on matters of
9. Division of the conquered territory, such as New Spain and Peru. _____________________
10. Surname of the conqueror of the Inca Empire._____________________
11. Lands used for stockbreeding and agriculture in America._____________________
12. They were slaves brought from Africa to do the hardest work, and they had no rights at
13. The children of Spanish men and Native American women, and occupied the second highest
positions in society.
1.- How are towns and cities built? (1 point)
1. Where are towns and cities built?
2. Where may these locations be?
3. What´s the layout of a city?
4. What does the irregular part of a city show?
5. What does the regular part of a city show?
6. Where in the city are modern skyscrapers found?
7. Where in the city may older buildings be found?
2.- Label the pictures and match the following sentences with the correct layout:
1. This type of layout makes it easy to access the city centre. 2. The streets run at right angles to each other.
3. Some Spanish cities have this type of layout.
4. This type of layout is typical of North American cities, and of newer districts in European cities.
5. Irregular layouts are typical of Muslim and medieval towns. 6. The streets may be narrow and winding.
7. It is planned according to a grid plan.
8. Access to other parts of the city except the centre is difficult.
9. There are few open spaces.
10. Streets radiate out from a central point.
11. It has no particular order.
Type of layout:_____________ Type of layout:_____________ Type of layout:_____________
Sentences__________________ Sentences__________________ Sentences__________________
3.- Answer the following questions about the structures of the cities.
1. How do most towns and cities serve today?
2. In which kind of residential areas do wealthier inhabitants live?
3. In which kind of residential areas do poorer people live?
4. In which part of the city are most of services found?
5. What is the main function of all capital cities?
6. Why is London an important t financial centre?
7. Why is Rotterdam´s main function trade?
8. Why do Oxford and Salamanca have a cultural function?
9. Why do Rome, Jerusalem and Mecca have a religious function?
10. Where are the industrial areas placed today?
4.- Define the following concepts and give an example:
• Metropolitan area:
5.- Find the correct concept for the following sentences about the world´s urban network:
1. ______________ are the political, economic, cultural, communications and transport centres for
2. Cities are related to other cities and form an ___________________.
3. Not all cities have the same influence, so they have a ______________ or order of importance.
4. New York, Tokyo and London are ______________.
5. ______________ have global influence.
6. Important international institutions, the main stock exchanges and large multinational
companies are based in ______________.
7. ______________ are capital cities and cities which have influence in a particular country.
8. Government bodies and large companies are based in ______________.
9. ______________ are cities with influence on a particular region of the country.
10. Then there are ______________, which have influence on a smaller area.
6.- Complete the gaps with the suitable word from the box:
WEALTHY SOUTH CONTRASTS AFRICA CONTRASTS CENTRAL
URBAN BEST POLLUTION UNEMPLOYMENT CENTRE (SHANTY
TOWNS) ADVANCED FACTORIES POOR ASIA STREET ECONOMIC MODERN
OUTSKIRTS POVERTY CRIME TRADITIONAL
The poorest countries are located in ___________, Central and South America and, above all, ____________.
Cities in these countries are characterised by strong ____________, produced by differences in wealth. A
____________ minority lives in ____________ buildings in the ____________ districts. The majority of the
population lives in ____________ areas in the ____________ and, particulary, in ____________ on the
In addition, modern ____________ live side by side with traditional craft workshops. Although the most
____________ services are available to some people, a large part of the population lives by providing
____________ services, such as ____________ selling or cleaning shoes.
In developing countries, ____________ growth has not been linked to the ____________ growth.
This creates serious problems, such a shortage of decent housing, high ____________ rates, and consequently
____________ and ____________; traffic congestion, and air and water ____________.
7.- Match the following sentences about cities in developed countries:
1.- Cities in North America and Canada
2.- They were planned and, thus,
3.- The city centre is the Central Business District
4.- European cities
5.- The city centre is the older part and
6.- The layout of the city centre is normally
7.- The CBD in European cities is located in the city
8.- In all parts of the developed world,
9.- In North America, over 80% of the population
10.- The main problems in cities in developed
a.- Lives in the suburbs.
b.- Are not very old.
c.- High housing prices, traffic, pollution, crime and
d.- (CBD), which is modern and dominated by
e.- Is where most of the historic monuments are
f.- Were built to a grid plan.
g.- Irregular because it was not built following a
h.- Are much older.
i.- The outskirts of the cities are growing.
j.- With many old refurbished buildings used for
8.- Answer the following questions about the city of Lima.
1. Where are the colonial buildings?
2. Where do the wealthiest people live?
3. What economic activities can we find near the most modern neighbourhoods?
4. In which two places do the poorest people live?
9.- Answer the following questions about the city of New York.
1. What is the business centre?
2. What ancient activities used to occupy the centre?
3. What kind of buildings replaced them?
4. What are ghettoes?
5. What kind of people live in ghettoes?
6. What fatal incidents happen in the ghettoes?
9.- Complete the chart with the names of the megacities in the world.
North America South Africa Asia Oceania