“description of something in the
“mental perception of the kind of
environment an individual, or an
organization, aspires to create within
a broad time horizon and the
underlying conditions for the
actualization of this perception”
Organizations relate their existence to satisfying
a particular need of the society. They do it in
terms of their mission.
Mission is a statement which defines the
role that an organization plays in a society.
It refers to the particular need of that society for
instance, its information needs.
What is 0ur business?
What will it be?
What should it be?
Mission statements can use the ideas
generated thr0ugh the pr0cess 0f
understanding an defining business.
Objectives represent a managerial
commitment to achieve specified results in a
specified period, of time. They clearly spell
out the quantity and quality of performance to
be achieved, the time period, the process and
the person who is responsible for the
achievement of the objective.
Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing (3M)
1. To achieve 10% growth in earnings per
2. To achieve 20% - 25% return on equity.
3. To achieve 27% return on capital
1. Objectives form a hierarchy
2. Objectives form a network
3. Multiplicity of objectives
4. Long and short range objectives
Areas of objectives
6. Financial resources
7. Physical facilities
8. Organization structure and activities
9. Manager performance and
10. Employee performance and attitude
11. Customer service
12. Social responsibility
Importance of objectives
1. Objectives help to define the organization
in its environment
2. Objectives help in coordinating decisions
3. Objectives help in formulating strategies
4. Objectives provide standards for
assessing organizational performance
Objectives of BSNL
National Plan Target of 500 million subscriber
base for the country by December 2010.
Broadband customers base of 20 million in the
country by 2010 as per Broadband policy 2004.
Factors affecting Objectives
1.Forces in the environment
3.The value systems of the top executives
Goals are short term (one year or less) milestones or
bench marks that organizations must achieve in order
for long term long term objectives to be reached.
Goals should be
measurable, quantitative, challenging, realistic, consist
ent and prioritized.
A set of goals is needed for each
objective that is established in an
Goals have the following features
1. Are derived from objectives
2. Offer a standard for measuring performance
3. Are expressed in concrete terms
4. Are time bound and work oriented.
Goals are important in – Strategy
Objectives are in – strategy formulation
Goals are an expected or desired outcome of
a planning process. Goals are usually
broad, general expressions of the guiding
principles and aspirations of an organization.
Objectives are precise targets that are
necessary to achieve goals. Objectives are
detailed statements of quantitatively or
qualitatively measurable results the plan
hopes to accomplish.