1. Improving Your Listening Skills How to be an Active Listener
2. Active Listening► Good listening skills are important in school the workplace day-to-day living► Yetmost of us receive very little training in effective listening.
3. ► Take the Effective Listening Quiz!
4. Good Listeners:► Minimize or remove any barriers to communication that may threaten their effectiveness.► Physically face towards and pay attention to the speaker.► Listen for and verbally confirm the speakers intent or purpose.► Confirm the content or the speakers request (the who, what, where, when, why and how).► Clarify the degree of importance of the request to the speaker. What is the reason, need or urgency of the request?► Recognize the level of emotion demonstrated by the speaker.► Summarize and share their understanding of what is being requested.► Indicate the level of response they will be able to provide.
5. Factors That Hinder Listening► Many factors hinder our listening. Here are a few examples: Daydreaming. Preparing our responses ahead of time. Thinking about other people, places or things.
6. 7 Ways to Improve Your Listening► Hereare 7 strategies and suggestions to help you improve your listening skills. 1.) Increase your listening span: ► Try to resist the temptation to interrupt. ► Make sure the speaker has had a complete chance to make his or her point before you speak. ► If you dont get the whole message, ask the speaker to repeat what they said.
7. Ways to Improve Your Listening► 2.) Take time to listen: Dont put obvious limitations on your listening time - the speaker will feel rushed.► 3.) Listen between the lines: Dont just listen to what is being said. Try to understand the attitudes, needs and motives behind the words.
8. Ways to Improve Your Listening► 4.) Give your full attention: Nodding or interjecting occasionally to clarify a point lets the speaker know you are interested. If the speaker pauses briefly, dont rush to fill the silence. Use open-ended questions to encourage elaboration.
9. Ways to Improve Your Listening► 5.) Restate the message: When you are sure that the speaker has finished, restate the main points. This is a good organizing strategy for you. It also gives the speaker assurance that the message has been received.
10. Ways to Improve Your Listening► 6.) Listen for ideas as well as facts: A good listener makes an effort to understand what the facts add up to.► 7.) Dont monopolize: Resist the urge to dominate a situation or to feel that you know everything about a situation. Be open to new ideas and allow the speaker to have his or her say.