Security on the Brain – Using Human Psychology to Achieve Compliance: ISSA-UK Expert Workshop
Presented by Adrian Wright - ISSA-UK VP of Research
One of the biggest wake-up calls in recent times is the realisation that more than 60% of major security breaches and data losses are down to 'human factor' failings.
Our main weapon in mitigating these failings is to spend more on in-house awareness campaigns and on technical measures to minimise any losses - yet incidents and losses continue to increase. Clearly these existing awareness campaigns and controls are not enough, as the message is still not getting through or isn't being complied with.
This presentation and workshop session challenges current thinking and strategies in dealing with people as both an asset and a source of risk, by leveraging human psychology and people's differing motivations to improve communication, change opinions and turn basic awareness into actual compliance.
In this session
- The psychology of why we don't comply - why awareness alone won't do
- What motivates people to do - or not do - specific things
- Neurolinguistics - it's not just what you say; but how you say it and to who
- Divide and conquer - adapting your message to target specific personality types
- Changing the security culture by changing people's belief systems
- Dirty tricks (slightly) - tactics that work in changing behaviour
- Selling the unsellable - lessons from other sectors in making boring stuff sexy
- Informal group discussion of challenges and successes from your experience
- Identifying your audience’s character types and shaping the message
- Influencing the Board by speaking their language
- Developing an internal PR strategy to improve security's image and influence
- Develop a brand new and more effective mission statement for your team
About the Presenter:
Adrian Wright CISA
20 years experience in Information Security, IT Risk Management & Compliance. Specialist in managing security, risk and compliance awareness campaigns;
9 Years Global CISO Head of InfoSec at Reuters - covering 142 countries and 250,000 systems;
10 years founder and programme director at Secoda Risk Management. Experienced speaker and writer on all things cyber security, governance, risk & compliance.
2 Years Director of Projects & 1 Year VP of Research & Board member at ISSA-UK
Having spent decades looking into the darker recesses and failings within technology; Adrian has recently turned his attention to the darker recesses and failings within the human beings that work with the technology…