1. 2640 Lyndale Ave. South | Minneapolis, Minnesota 55408 | T +1 612 279 1400 | www.zeusjones.comHow your advertising skills can become even more meaningful in theinnovation field.Adrian Ho
2. Image via: http://practicalwingchun.cn
3. The match that shaped Bruce Lee’s approach to Kung FuThe infamous fight: Oakland, CA 1964Image via: http://practicalwingchun.cnImage via: http://http://10000victories.com/Wong Jack Man Bruce Lee
4. It’s traditional frameworks or styles that are.Traditional techniques aren’tthe problem.
5. Separates techniques from form. Relies upon fighter’s intuition and creativity rather thantradition or formulas.Jeet Kune Do:A style without a style.
6. Pete Maulik, CSO at Fahrenheit 212, gave us the singlebest piece of advice in 2006: “The hardest thing foryou will be to remember you’re not in an advertisingagency.”We were given thesame advice beforewe opened.Innovation expert Peter Maulik ’04 shows that there ismore to success than luck and circumstance. Read on p25Columbia women leading the upperechelons of the ﬁnance industry. p10GE CFO Keith Sherin ’91 heads up a$1 billion investment in Big Data. p16How do leaders set values or resettheir organization’s direction? p28LEADINGCHANGETHEGAMECHANGERSTHEREADY SETINNOVATE
7. Advertising is abusiness ofpeople
8. Advertising is abusiness ofpeopleWho operatewithin a culture
9. Advertising is abusiness ofpeopleSupported bydepartments,processes and toolsWho operatewithin a culture
10. Advertising is abusiness ofpeopleSupported bydepartments,processes and toolsWho operatewithin a cultureCreated fromframeworks, ideasand philosophy
11. Advertising is abusiness ofpeopleDesigned toenhance and enablethe creation ofadvertisingSupported bydepartments,processes and toolsWho operatewithin a cultureCreated fromframeworks, ideasand philosophy
12. Question how, why and by whom that output is createdDon’t just question the output of the agency
13. The most fundamentaldecisions actually have themost far reachingimplications.
14. Retained Relationship ImplicationsTime sheets and time accounting systemsRelationship/account managersLengthy development times and processesAgencies extending themselves beyond coreMakes it difficult to innovate or disruptMeasured by timeBuilt around a relationshipFor managing somethingGrowth through additional servicesDesigned to ensure continuity
15. Project Relationship ImplicationsNo time sheets, our profitability is our businessNo account people, greater collaborationSmall agile teams, value speedWe build change into our deliverablesWe partner on innovationMeasured by taskBuilt around a goalFor doing somethingGrowth through new opportunitiesDesigned to create something new
16. • New business pitches• HR departments• Team structure• Campaign cycles• Brand/communication models• AwardsAgencies are built upon dozens offundamental decisions with equally farreaching implications.
17. Agency people are literally bound by frameworks that hold them down and hold them backThe burden of those decisions is carried upon your backsImage via: http://www.hellenica.de
18. It’s traditional frameworks or styles that are.Traditional techniques aren’tthe problem.
19. Separate your techniques from your structures. Rely upon intuition and creativity rather thantradition or formulas.Free yourself from “the agency.”