PP2 Selection of Malta Gardens Joseph Buhagiar PP2 UoM Project Coordinator – Gardmed 1st Steeering Committee Meeting September 20th 2011 PO ITALIA MALTA 2007 - 2013 Progetto - GARDMED – Project
Proposed List of Gardens 1. Argotti Botanic Gardens, outer and inner, Floriana 2. Mall Gardens, Floriana 3. King George V Garden, Floriana 4. Sir Luigi Preziosi/Vilhena Garden, Floriana 5. Palace Kitchen Garden, Attard 6. Villa Bologna Gardens, Attard 7. Tal-Kmandant Gardens, Zejtun 8. Palazzo Parisio, Naxxar
1. Argotti Botanic Gardens (UoM)•Historical garden dating back to 1742•Currently University of Malta Garden•Formerly a combination of three interjoined gardens•Currently only a section about 0.5 hectares, underUniversity jurisdiction•Most intensively cultivated part with botanical collections
2. The Mall Gardens•Originally a historical, walled gardendating back to the 18th Century.•Contains several old specimens.•Eight monuments dedicated to importantpersons are found in this garden.
3. King George V Garden, Floriana•The entrance of these Gardens is renowned for its elaboratearch, with the British Monarchy coat-of-arms at the top.•A bronze bust of King George V lies as you enter the garden.•This garden was converted into Maltas first Playing Field andinaugurated in the 1930s.
4. Sir Luigi Preziosi /Vilhena Garden •Relatively modern garden •Has a good vantage point over grand harbour •Named after a very successful ophthalmic surgeon and political figure. •Luigi Count Preziosi was born of noble family in Sliema on the 29th July, 1888.
5.Palace Kitchen Garden•The historic kitchen garden of San Anton Palace spread over nine tumoli.•Garden supplied the palace with vegetables since the time of the knights.•Features include - playing area, museum and animal pens forponies, donkeys, ostriches and goats.•This garden is run by the Malta Community Chest Fund (MCCF) - acharitable institution chaired by The President of Malta.
6. Villa Bologna Gardens• Villa and garden were built in 1745 by Fabrizio Grech as a wedding dowry for his daughter Maria Teresa to Nicolas Perdicomati Bologna, second Count della Catena.• Features old orange groves and fountains from this period.• In the 1930s Lady Strickland created a new garden behind the villa with a spectacular fountain, a sunken pond and vine covered pergolas and new citrus groves.
7. Tal-Kmandant Garden Zejtun •Also known as Luqa Briffa Garden & "Giardino Botanico". •Designed & built in Italian style by architect Mikiel Cachia in 1802AD . •A number of similar gardens in various towns and villages in Malta. •Commissioned by Sir Alexander Ball (5 still exist) & given to Leading Representatives of the villages (Lieutenant Guze’ Abela for Zejtun) for their mission in revolts against the French. •Coat of arms of King George III is found on the main door entrance.
# Villa Francia – Villa Preziosi•Prime Minister’s Official Residence.•Villa Preziosi, later known as Villa Francia, issituated in the northern part of Lija.•Villa Francia is a building of nationalinterest.•Baroque style Villa Francia is dated to themid-eighteenth century (prior to 1757).