Preparing for Acquia CertificationPresentation Transcript
Preparing for Acquia
What we will cover
• About the certiﬁcation program
• Five steps of preparation
1. Understand the goals of the exam
2. Understand the exam blueprint
3. Understand the nature of questions asked
4. Find out your own strengths and
5. Work on your weak areas
• Tips on taking the exam
• Resources available
Manager, Learning Services,
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
• Details acquia.com/certiﬁcation
• Take: Online and in-person at test centers
• Duration: 60 questions in 90 mins
• Cost: $250
with Peter Manijak, Global Lead for Certiﬁcation
STEP 1: UNDERSTAND THE GOAL
Validate a candidate’s ability to…
• Develop Drupal based solutions
• Understand the core Drupal architecture
• Drupal front and back end development
• Customize and extend existing modules and
Who is the certiﬁcation for?
• Not for novices (< 6 months experience)
• 6 months + experience in areas outlined in
STEP 2 - EXAM BLUEPRINT
The exam blueprint
1.0 Fundamental Web Concepts
2.0 Site Building
3.0 Front end development (theming)
4.0 Back end development (coding)
What knowledge is needed?
• Fairly good understanding of all the three core
– Site Building
– Front end development
– Back end development
STEP 3 - UNDERSTAND THE NATURE OF
Nature of questions : Scenario
• Scenario: situation with a use case or a client
• Question: about the scenario or the problem
• Options: four or more choices with possible
You are running a popular local news portal. A mobile app developer in your
area approached you for a permission to syndicate your content on their
mobile app. They are requesting the content be made available as a feed
rather than in HTML format.
How can you provide list of latest articles in RSS format?
1. Create a view with a Feed display ﬁltering only the Articles content type
2. Create a view with a Page display ﬁltering only the Articles content type and under ﬁlter options
enable the RSS ﬁlter
3. Create a view with a Page display ﬁltering only the Articles content type and under Style output
options select RSS Feed instead of Unformatted List
4. Create a view with a Page display ﬁltering only the Articles content type, modifying the .tpl.php ﬁle
for the view and render the output in RSS format
STEP 4 - FIND OUT YOUR STRENGTHS
Find out your own strengths and
• You might have made a judgement about
where your own skills
• Quite natural for a person to be more
experienced in one of the domains than others
• Quite likely that a person has hands-on
experience on certain topics
• Access the sheet here:
Rank your skills
• Scale of 0 to 10 against
each test objective
• 8+ implies strengths.
• 5 to 7 implies some prep
• Less than 5 a lot of prep, or
STEP 5 - WORK ON YOUR WEAK AREAS
Step 5 : Work on your weak
– Find and study documentation and
knowledge resources for the topics
– Find enough number of practical case
studies covering the topics.
Site Building Review
Review several (3-5) Drupal 7 projects
• Why the conﬁgurations are the way they are?
• What can be changed or improved?
• What are the issues or support requests raised by the
• What changes were made to initial conﬁgurations and
Front end development
Find custom themes developed by your
team over last year
• Is the theme implemented exactly as per the designs? If not, what changes
were needed and why?
• Are theme regions optimum? Is there any redundancy?
• Are there any theme settings?
• How are CSS and JS ﬁles called in the theme?
• Are there any preprocess functions used? Why?
Back end development
• Need an overall understanding of Drupal’s
API, core hooks system and their
– Attend a module development course
– Build a small module on your own
– Try the Examples Module
Taking it at an exam center...
• Arrive 15 minutes before
• Bring copy of your registration email
• Photo ID
• Reschedule? 24 hours prior
• Check the system requirements
• Install software 1 day in advance
• Select a silent room
• Keep a bottle of water handy.
• Switch oﬀ your mobile
• Don’t use 2 monitors,
As you take the exam...
• Start with questions you know
• Save harder questions for review
• Go with your instinct and ﬁrst response
• There are no trick questions
• DON’T overthink!