Improving the ROI of Your Drupal Website with Updated Content Strategy
Improve the ROI of
Your Drupal Site
with an updated content strategy
By: Dawn Borglund
July 24th, 2014
Senior Digital Strategist
A little about my history
● Senior project manager for Mediacurrent where I led
large scale technical projects
● Brand manager for Drupal advertising agency
● Graduate and undergraduate professor of digital media,
marketing, and transmedia storytelling for UCF
● Director and producer for international broadcasts
● Online story consultation testing for Halloween Horror
Nights / Universal Studios Orlando, Institute for
Simulation and Training, and Media Convergence Lab.
● Presented at several conferences and lead workshops
nationwide. Recently presented at Drupalcon. Prepping Carey Hart for an interview
● Usability Testing
● Responsive Design
● Drupal Theming
● Annotated Wireframes
● Drupal Support
● Custom Module Development
● Large Scale Systems Integration
● Security & Performance Expertise
We help organizations build highly impactful, elegantly designed Drupal
websites that achieve the strategic results you need.
● Content Strategy
● Content Generation
● Result Metrics
● Marketing Automation Integration
● Why is content marketing important?
● How do I increase conversions?
● Why are my traditional tactics no
● How do I reach a larger audience?
● How do I find a balance between
advertising and social content?
● What Drupal tools can I use to help me
● What metrics prove long term ROI for
my Drupal website?
Why is content marketing important?
REALIZATION OF NEED
● Make sure there’s nothing
● Increase traffic
● Get the right traffic
● Improve your pitch
Why are my traditional tactics no longer working?
Creating audiences via paid media
Creating audiences via owned media
Using owned media to get earned media
Today’s digital landscape:
Crowded with companies & platforms
Why else isn’t it working?
● Consumers choose channels (Google, Facebook, etc) that serve their needs and
channels try to serve content that matches those customer’s needs
○ ...which likely isn’t going to be bad owned media
● Each channel wants to be profitable as well.
● 46 colleges and universities just
in immediate area
● Colleges and universities in
● Online degrees
● ...all wanting their students.
Example: Butler University
● There needs to be a stronger focus on content
distribution as well as content generation.
● You have to deeply consider new platforms
and weigh the pros/cons before jumping in.
● If your intention is to provide valuable,
interesting information to users, then you
can live through the storms.
Going viral to build an audience
● You could leave it up to chance or you could make very deliberate plans:
○ Make your product easy to share
○ Ensure that it’s worth sharing / must answer “what’s in it for me?”
○ Be willing to adjust/pivot based on user feedback
● Focus on early adopters before the mass market. At least at first.
○ What are their interests and where do they frequent?
● Customers got really great deals
● Inviting your friends via social media
meant you could get your deal for free if
enough of them sign up too
Give users a reason to believe and share
Getting the plan together
● Buyer persona development
● Competitive Analysis
● Content Audit / Gap Analysis
● SEO Keyword Analysis
● Propose Content Style guide
● Editorial Calendar
● Set Results Metrics
● Day in the life
● Current beliefs about you
● Problems and concerns that you
● Common objections to your services
● Primary marketing channels
● Desired online experience
Showing the strengths and weaknesses in your current content/digital strategy.
A typical month might look like
● Set campaign goals
● Write SEO’d articles and pages
● Release email campaigns
● Interact on social media
● Create lead-gen landing pages with
● Connect with brand evangelists to help
● Review analytics and ROI
How do I find a balance between personable
content and advertising?
“I can’t wait to see some
- said only advertisers.
All things being equal, people will do business
with people they know, like and trust.
All things being unequal, people will STILL do
business with people they know like and trust.
~Jeffrey Gitomer, author of Little Red Book of Selling
What Drupal tools can I use to help me
reach my goals?
Marketers love Drupal because:
● No licensing fees!
● Very, very secure
● You can control the major SEO
elements of each page
● Easy to customize the workflow
● Integrates with marketing
● Create dynamic, personal content
● Track EVERYTHING
Drupal tools that make life easier:
● Global Redirect
● Google Analytics
● Path Redirect
● XML Sitemap
● Marketing Automation Modules
● Acquia Lift
Thought Leaders in
Drupal.org Module Maintainers
Acquia Lift: Drupal website
● Build targeted content for your
● Content is served based on user
behavior and interest
● A/B testing and learning
● Integrates seamlessly with your
content creation workflow
What metrics prove long term ROI for my
ROI = (# of leads x value of
each lead) - investment
Keep an eye on:
● Bounce rates, time on site,
● Website traffic sources
● Campaign specific data
● Medium specific data- content
○ Back channel
● Pages >1 hit from search
● Medium specific data- numbers and
● Top performing keywords/referrals
eBook, tracking all
Inbound Marketing Social