How to Build a Great Drupal TeamPresentation Transcript
5 Steps to Build a
Great Drupal Team
Summer Swigart, Practice
Manager at Acquia
Meagen Williams, Program
5 Steps to build your team
1. Understand typical teams, roles and job
2. Define your requirements
3. Widen your net with your job description
4. Where and how to post jobs
5. Evaluating applicants
Blog series bit.ly/drupalteamblog
Understand team roles
and job titles
Will Huggins, Zoocha – Dream Team
A Drupal configuration Comfortable using Drupal; not
A senior developer,
Theming / Front end
Planning, research solutions,
create demos, discover hidden
Develop the front of the site to a
• Technical Lead
• Project Manager
• Junior Developer
• Quality Assurance
• What are
• Engagement Manager
• Project Manager
• Quality Assurance Specialist
• What are
An ideal ratio?
• 1 codebase = 1.75 people
Devise your skill matrix
Define your requirements
Avoid the laundry list
Job posting for Penny Arcade
• Meagen: How do you deal with a smaller
• Summer: How do you define the absolute
What is absolutely required
versus merely desired?
• Responsibilities include:
– Day to day tasks
• Candidates will need to demonstrate:
– Expected experience
– What will set you apart from the rest
From a Previous Next job posting
Role of training and mentoring?
• What training is available?
• What kind of mentoring on on-the-job
learning do you provide?
Widen your net – Write your
Pitch your company to candidates
They want to know:
• What is the company
• Will I be working with
• Are you building
Advice from Careers 2.0 team
Example job listing outline
• Start off with the "30 second elevator
pitch" - Why this job and our company is
• Next, define the roles and responsibilities
• Then list the must-have skills
Selling the job
• Summer: The Drupal market is on fire –
how do you “sell” the roles? What are
developers looking for?
• Meagen: What patterns do you see?
Attend community events – sponsor,
Working with the community
• How do you engage with the community?
• Summer- how have you used case studies
• Meagen- what are community meet-ups
Where and how to post jobs
Drupal community site - Free listings
List in regional groups
Be a good citizen!
• Look out for group guidelines
• Particularly “Please do not post job
adverts in this group”
$40 to list
Connected to Stackoverflow
Invitation only to improve quality of
Connect to freelancers
Add your company profile
Careful of “spamming” at events
How do you hire?
• Summer – How do you hire?
• Meagen – How does your experience
• Very important!
Use various methods for evaluation
Case study presentations
“Pair as interviews”
Public profile for Drupal developers
Ask about community involvement
Gild is also aggregating data and helping employers
“cast aside preconceived and wide spread biases,”
for example about what universities people went to,
and increase the chances of talented people finding
their dream job. (Gild best practices, 13 Nov 2013)
• Meagen – What advice do you have for
non-technical people to screen
• Summer – How do you discover gaps?
What do you look out for?
• Meagen- What are some good interview
Using case studies
• Give an actual problem, relating closely to
• They present a solution to a small team.