Power point presentation2


Published on

  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Power point presentation2

  1. 1. Traveling Through Space
  2. 2. What is a star? A star is a huge ball of hot, glowing gas. Stars produce their own light and energy by a process called Nuclear Fusion The largest stars are blue, the medium size stars are yellow and the smallest stars are red.
  3. 3. Constellations <ul><li>There are 88 constellations is our Solar System. </li></ul><ul><li>12 constellations represent our Zodiac Signs. </li></ul><ul><li>Cancer, Capricornus, Gemini, Sagittarius, </li></ul><ul><li>Taurus, Scorpius, Aries, Libra, </li></ul><ul><li>Pisces, Virgo, Aquarius and Leo. </li></ul>Click on the telescope for a full list of the constellations!
  4. 4. Cancer Capricornus
  5. 5. Gemini Sagittarius
  6. 6. Taurus Scorpius
  7. 7. Aries Libra
  8. 8. Pisces Virgo
  9. 9. Aquarius Leo
  10. 10. Planets There are 9 planets in our Solar System. Each planet is different and has different characteristics.
  11. 11. Mercury Mercury is the planet that is closest to the sun. It can be seen from Earth in the early morning or late evening. Mercury has “wrinkles” on its surface and is covered in craters. Mercury has almost no air because the solar winds from the sun blow away any atmosphere. Weather on Mercury can range from 800 degrees Fahrenheit to -300 degrees Fahrenheit. Mercury has no moons.
  12. 12. Venus Almost exact size as Earth. Venus is hard for scientists to observe because of how hot the planet is and the thick atmosphere. Venus is Earth’s evil twin sister. Volcanoes, mountains and sand have been found on the surface of Venus but there is very little water. Venus has no moons.
  13. 13. Earth Earth is the biggest inner planet. About 7 billion people live on Earth. 70% of Earth is covered by water and the other 30% is land. Earth has one moon: Luna. The Earth’s temperature, weather and atmosphere are all just right to allow us to live here.
  14. 14. Mars Mars has an atmosphere that is similar to Earth’s. The only water on Mars is frozen in polar caps or underground. The surface of Mars is red and covered by dirt and rocks. Mars has two moons: Deimos and Phobos.
  15. 15. Jupiter Largest planet in our Solar System. The Earth could fit inside Jupiter more than 1000 times. Jupiter is a very stormy planet. The red spot on Jupiter is a planet that has been continuing for almost 300 years. Jupiter does not have a solid surface so it is called a gas planet. Jupiter has three rings. They are able visible when the sun’s light reflects the right way on it. The three rings are named Gossamer, Main and Halo. Jupiter has 50 official moons and 12 other unofficial moons.
  16. 16. Saturn Saturn is the second largest planet in our Solar System. Saturn is a gas planet and very similar to Jupiter. Saturn is a lightweight planet and spins fast so it is not as round as the other planets. Saturn has a total of seven rings and they are made up of particles of ice, dust and rocks. There are 53 official moons and 9 unofficial moons in Saturn’s orbit which help keep the rings in place.
  17. 17. Uranus Uranus is a gas planet. Uranus spins on its side. This planet is an extremely cold planet and has been given the nickname “The Ice Giant”. Uranus is made of rock and ice and has a larger rocky core. The rings that surround are made of black dust particles and rocks. Uranus has 27 moons in its orbit.
  18. 18. Neptune Discovered in 1846. Neptune is a brilliant, blue planet that has a few thin white clouds around it. The weather on Neptune is extremely windy. No other planet has as strong winds as Neptune does. There are six rings around Neptune. Neptune has 13 known moons in its orbit. There are possibly more but because Neptune is so far away the moons are hard to discover.
  19. 19. Pluto Pluto is the smallest of all the planets. In 2006 Pluto was re-classified as a Dwarf Planet. Little is known about Pluto and its moons because it is so far away. Pluto was named by an 11-year old girl in England in 1930. There are three moons in Pluto’s orbit.
  20. 20. Which planets have moons? Earth Mars Jupiter Neptune Pluto Saturn Uranus
  21. 21. What have we learned? <ul><li>What are the different colors and sizes of stars ? </li></ul><ul><li>How many constellations are in our Solar System? </li></ul><ul><li>What are the 12 constellations that represent Zodiac Signs? </li></ul><ul><li>What are the names of the planets in our Solar System? </li></ul><ul><li>Which planet is the largest? </li></ul><ul><li>Which planet is the smallest? </li></ul><ul><li>How many planets have moons ? </li></ul>Write these answers in your notebook! Feel free to go back to the other pages to help you answer the questions! GOOD LUCK! To read more about the planets in our Solar System, click on our Space Exploring Friend!