View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
The above are the emotions which directly affect our day-to-day life. There are TWO dimensions of emotions:
Physiological side : ‘Emotion’ is a complex state of human mind, involving bodily changes of widespread character such as breathing, pounding heart, flushed face, sweating palms, pulse rate, gland secretions, etc.
Psychological side , a state of excitement or perturbation marked by strong feelings.
Emotional Intelligence is “the capacity for recognizing our own feelings and those of others, for motivating ourselves, and for managing emotions well in ourselves and in our relationships. Emotional intelligence describes abilities distinct from, but complementary to, academic intelligence.” Daniel Goleman (1998)
“ Emotional intelligence is the ability of an individual to appropriately and successfully respond to a vast variety of emotional inputs being elicited from inner self and immediate environment. Emotional intelligence constitutes three psychological dimensions such as emotional competency, emotional maturity and emotional sensitivity , which motivate an individual to recognize truthfully, interpret honestly and handle tactfully the dynamics of human behaviour ”. (Dalip Singh 2003)
Are we giving EQ education in schools /colleges
NO. Our educational system gives stress on IQ and not on EQ. We are taught History, Hindi, English, Geography, Physics, anthropology, Botany, Computers, Medicine, Engineering etc.
We are not TAUGHT how to handle frustration, anxieties, stress, failure, depression, burnout, inferiority complexes, ego problems
We are not told to learn how to manage emotions i.e.; interaction, coordination, Adjustment, communication
We are expected to learn all these from our parents, peer group of other role models
At the later stages of our lives we are told to master emotional competencies to be successful .
IQ v/s EQ (Intelligence Quotient v/s Emotional Quotient)
The research shows that IQ can help you to be successful to the extent of 20 percent only in life. The rest of 80 percent success depends on your EQ
Psychologists, Psychiatrists, Management consultants and Medical Doctors have been proving that there are personal characteristics called emotional intelligence which are responsible for the ways how we behave, how we feel, how we relate to others, how well we do at our jobs, and how healthy we are.
Emotional Intelligence tendencies can result in being uncomfortable with other people, not being happy with your job, not succeeding at your job, and even being physically and psychologically unhealthy - with stress-related problems, or not having satisfactory interpersonal relations
A study of 80 Ph.D.’s by EQ Consortium A study of 80 Ph.D.’s in science who underwent a battery of personality tests, IQ tests, and interviews in the 1950s when they were graduate students at Berkeley. Forty years later, when they were in their early seventies, they were tracked down and estimates were made of their success based on resumes, evaluations by experts in their own fields, and sources like American Men and Women of Science. It turned out that social and emotional abilities were four times more important than IQ in establishing professional success and prestige . (EQ CONSORTIUM)
Being EI does not mean a weak, submissive or defensive personality.
Being highly EI does not not mean being extra nice, polite or sugar coating your language
The females are NOT superior to males in expressing/experiences emotions as most of us tend to believe incorrectly. In fact, the research shows that males are equally emotional when compared to females.
There is no direct evidence to prove that EQ is dependent upon heredity.
However, the environment does seem to influence the EQ.
YES. You can develop your EQ by upgrading your emotional skills. The popular thinking that EQ is entirely inherited is incorrect. Emotional Intelligence is not fixed at birth. There is no emotional intelligence genes as such that we know of today. It is something one has learned.
Can EQ be developed at any stage/age of personal or professional life. The answer is YES . You can upgrade your emotional skills at any stage of your life. In fact, age and maturity are positively correlated with the EQ.
Same is not true about IQ which is more or less static .
CONCLUSION: Applying EQ makes you feel comfortable within your own skin and with people around you. You can also understand what makes you incompatible with certain people or jobs and learn ways to deal with the emotional difficulties ease. You can also understand the specific feelings that cause you stress and learn ways to become more at peace.