Developmental Cancer Therapy
Cancer can be seen as a result of altered
Cancer Therapy- Angiogenesis
◦ The formation of new blood vessels.
◦ Is utilized to provide blood supply to a tumor
◦ Tumor cells secrete molecules such as
VEGF(Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor)
Angiogenesis inhibitors are drugs that prevent
angiogenesis and hence prevent vascularization
Natural and synthetic inhibitors of angiogenesis
have been characterized by several groups.
Some angiogenesis inhibitors have been FDA
approved for humans
The insertion of normal or genetically altered genes into
cells usually to replace defective genes especially in the
treatment of genetic disorders.
Somatic cell gene therapy
◦ (e.g. through blood or liver stem cells)
Germ line gene therapy
◦ by modifying a germ cell or fertilized egg and transferring to
◦ by modifying embryonic stem cells and making a body )
Stem Cell - Medicine
The human stem cells can be used to
produce new cells or organs
(neurons, blood cells, pancreas etc.) for
people with diseases or failing organs.