Key pointVirtualization is key to cloud computing, VMware is world’s most trusted virtualization platform for cloud computing. Virtualization as a technologyredefines boundaries between IT components, platforms and operational processes, leading to changes in the way the components are managed, secured and delivered across all computing platforms, from smart-phones to servers and related storage. Virtualization redefines the way components in the IT stack work together, driving more valuable IT outcomes, driving adoption of cloud computing. Cloud computing is an approach to computing that leverages the efficient pooling of on-demand, self-managedvirtual infrastructures, consumed as a service. Virtualization changes how IT is acquired, managed and used, enabling new forms of applications. The outcome of virtualization can make a significant contribution to help transform IT into a generator of value to the business, as a foundation to deliver on the potential of cloud computing. Gartner Nov 30 2010:Thomas J. Bittman:VMware's private cloud-computing strategy is a natural evolution of its server virtualization strength, and critical to its growth during the next five years. VMware's private cloud plans are not right for every enterprise or every workload, and there will be both direct competitive offerings and diverging visions for cloud-enabling applications — through infrastructure as a service (IaaS) or platform as a service (PaaS).Gartner praises and recognizes VMwarefor:Far-reaching virtualization strategy that includes enabling cloud computing, new application architectures and broader management Technology leadership and innovation High customer satisfactionLarge installed base (especially in the Global 2000), and rapid growth of service providers planning to use VMware (vCloud initiative)
Key pointThe dynamic nature of a cloud infrastructure fabric requires management to execute management responsibilities in different ways, using different IT Management methods. Virtualization drives new patterns of architectures, redefining the boundaries between IT components and resources and operational processes, leading to significant changes in the way different components of the IT stack are managed and configured, secured and delivered, across a heterogeneous computing platform plane.The table describes a number of key IT Management disciplines for a private cloud infrastructure. It sets out how traditional IT Management approaches approach these disciplines against the requirements for a (private) cloud infrastructure. The comparison by discipline emphasizes how new innovative technologies drive a new paradigm, the Cloud Era, and how this will change the way IT is managed. Current/traditional management solutions lack mature capabilities, tools and processes to manage highly dynamic infrastructure fabric computing for cloud computing (aggregation and dis-aggregation of related pooled resources). Deploying traditional server, network and storage systems is slio’d , labor intensive and complex. Life cycles and deployments are often one-off configurations, glued to specific application and departmental roles. Application stay rooted/bound to the configuration, forming multiple silos. Optimization is often a ‘guessing game’ of IT capacity planning, while the mobility and distribution of application is a manual-intensive process, when practiced at all. Virtualization focuses on the speed of processes of deployments and utilizes dynamic pooled/shared resources more efficiently, increased levels of automation, OS intelligence and management tools. Through VMware’s vast experience with its most advanced customers, VMware has developed an approach to guide the path to the ultimate goal: IT as a Service through a cloud architecture.
IT Business Management Orchestrate cloud processes - simple & lightweight Manage private cloud requests Meter and allocate costs
Key PointsVMware is the trusted advisor and cloud infrastructure authorityUsing this framework we map to specific solution areas that VMware is focused on (walk through the layers and functional areas) and that are important in virtualized and cloud environments.At first glance some of these areas will be new (vApp Packaging) while others (provisioning, service desk) may seem similar to a traditional view of management, but as you double click in these spaces you will find that we are focused on functionality that is both critical to and takes advantage of managing in a virtualized or cloud environment. In some areas (compliance & security, performance, service desk) we will dramatically redefine how management is done. VMware Infrastructure and Operations Management solutions enable IT to create a zero-touch, compliant infrastructure. Native management is designed-in to the virtualized and public, private, and hybrid cloud infrastructure to help deliver self-service through policy-driven control.VMware Application Management solutions enable IT to quickly, accurately, and confidently transition applications to virtualization and the cloud, mapping dependencies, assuring application portability & performance, and establishing service contracts with the infrastructure. VMware End-User Computing Management allows IT teams to provision & deploy desktops rapidly, manage workstation images simply, and deliver virtualized applications to desktop.VMware IT Business Management solutions allow IT and service providers to confidently deliver new levels of self-service while ensuring these new services are automatically governed with appropriate business and process-level controls. Self-service without business governance can lead to sprawl, cost, licensing, chargeback, and security issues.
Key PointVMware has leading solution suites for management of private cloud infrastructures.PrivateCloud architectures are rapidly emerging as a ‘role model’ for IT departments to thebusiness,in abetter, faster way, at lower cost. Progressive IT organizations are becoming more like service providers, striving to enable self- service while maintaining control and compliance. Virtualization for industry standard x86 environments, pioneered by VMware, has accelerated delivery of IT services and is a required foundation for cloud infrastructure. VMware offers solution suites to manage private cloud infrastructures: Enable Self-serviceAutomate Infrastructure & Operations ManagementEnsure Security & ComplianceStreamline IT service MgtSo lets now take a look at these 4 key areas in more detail. We will delve into further technical detail later on in this presentation
2. Virtualization is the Foundation for Cloud Computing<br />VMware is enabling companies to treat IT more like a business <br />Enables cloud computing<br />Changes how IT is acquired, managed and used<br />Enables new forms of applications<br />VMware is the world’s most trusted virtualization platform for cloud computing<br />84% of all virtualized applications in the world run on VMware Gartner, December 2009<br />Leader in Magic Quadrant for x86 virtualization infrastructure Gartner, May 2010<br />
3. Management Must Change to Realize Benefits of Cloud Computing<br />Today’s IT Budget is in Maintenance Mode<br />5%Infrastructure Investment<br />Innovation Throttled by Today’s IT Management<br /><ul><li>Brittle silo’d infrastructure and overwhelming complexity forces IT to spend > 70% of budgets on ‘status quo’</li></ul>23%Application Investment<br />42%Infrastructure Maintenance<br />Today’s Complex Management Inhibits Cloud<br /><ul><li>New levels of automation are required to provision, deploy and manage in a dynamic self-service environment</li></ul>30%Application Maintenance<br />Management Implication for Cloud<br /><ul><li>How do I achieve zero-touch?
4. How do I enable self-service with control?
5. How do I get to the hybrid cloud?</li></ul>Source: VMware Fortune 100 Customers<br />
6. Cloud Computing Requires New Management Model<br />
7. VMware’s Management Approach<br />End User Computing<br />End User Computing<br />End-User Computing Management <br /><ul><li> Provision & deploy desktops rapidly
8. Manage workstation images simply
9. Deliver virtualized applications to desktop</li></ul>IT Business Management<br /><ul><li>Provide simple & lightweight cloud workflows
10. Manage private cloud requests
11. Meter and allocate costs
12. Improve time-to-market
13. Optimize business performance</li></ul>Management Security<br />Compliance<br />Application Management <br /><ul><li> Encapsulate applications into containers
14. Assure application portability & performance
15. Establish service contracts with infrastructure</li></ul>Cloud Application Platform<br />Management Security<br />Compliance<br />Cloud Infrastructure <br /> Infrastructure & Operations Management <br /><ul><li>Create a zero-touch, compliant infrastructure
16. Build automation into platform
17. Deliver self-service through policy-driven control</li></ul>Management Security<br />Compliance<br />
18. Virtualization & Cloud Management Solutions<br />IT Business Management<br />End-User Computing Management<br />End User Computing<br />Administration<br />Updating<br />Deployment<br />Request Fulfillment<br />Application Management<br />Asset Management<br />Cloud Application Platform<br />Discovery & Mapping<br />vApp Packaging<br />Application Performance<br />Chargeback<br />Service Desk<br />Infrastructure & Operations Management<br />CloudInfrastructure & Management<br />Availability & Performance<br />Configuration<br />Business Continuity<br />Capacity<br />Compliance & Security<br />Provisioning<br />
19. VMware’s Current Focus: Private Cloud<br />Enable Self-Service<br /><ul><li>Infrastructure as a Service
20. Orchestration / workflow
21. Chargeback</li></ul>Automate Infrastructure & Operations Management<br /><ul><li>Performance
23. Configuration</li></ul>Ensure Security & Compliance<br /><ul><li>Operational best practices
24. Regulatory</li></ul>Streamline IT Service Management<br /><ul><li>Problem, incident, change and configuration</li></li></ul><li>VMware vCenter Operations Overview<br />Automated Operations for the Private CloudIntegrated Performance, Capacity and Configuration Management<br />vCenter Operations Enterprise<br />vCenter Operations Advanced<br />vCenter Operations Standard <br />Operations Management for VMware environments<br />Operations Management for heterogeneous environments<br />For smaller (<500) VMware deployments <br />vSphere<br />vSphere Environments<br />Heterogeneous environments<br />
25. How vCenter Operations is sold<br />Automated Operations for the Private CloudIntegrated Performance, Capacity and Configuration Management<br />vCenter Operations Enterprise<br />vCenter Operations Advanced<br />vCenter Operations Standard <br />Operations Management for VMware environments<br />Operations Management for heterogeneous environments<br />For smaller (<500) VMware deployments <br />Direct / strategic VARs<br />PS required <br />Large deals<br />Low volume<br />(TAM: 65,000 accounts)<br />Core/channel-oriented<br />Plug and play<br />Small to medium deals<br />High volume <br />(TAM: 4 million accounts)<br />