Who is ANSTI?
• (ANSTI) - African Network of Scientific and Technological
Institutions Established in 6th Jan 1980 by UNESCO and is
hosted at the UNESCO Nairobi offices.
• UNESCO was urged to help African Universities and
Research organizations engaged in training and research in
science and technology to establish linkages amongst
themselves to enable them pool their human and material
resources to contribute more effectively to the application
of science and technology to development in Africa.
• A regional non-governmental organization (NGO).
• UNESCO continues to provide financial and technical
assistance to ANSTI.
About ANSTI cont.…
• The network aims to develop active collaboration
among these institutions so as to promote research
and development in Basic and Engineering Sciences.
• To-date it has 199 member institutions in 37 countries
in sub-Saharan Africa.
• The mission of ANSTI is to facilitate the active
collaboration among African Scientific Institutions
for the purpose of training and research in science,
engineering and technology.
• ANSTI emphasizes the pooling of resources available
in the region so as to provide quality training and
research in various scientific disciplines.
• In order to achieve this objective, ANSTI is engaged in
numerous activities which can be grouped into four
programme areas: Training & Capacity Building;
Seminars & Workshops; Publications; and Promotion
• The ultimate development objective of ANSTI is to
strengthen the region’s capacity for training and
research and for establishing services for intensive and
purposeful utilization of science, engineering,
technology and innovation for development.
• The specific objective is to support the process of
human resource capacity building in relevant areas of
science, engineering and technology.
The Network has international flagship programmes: Flagship
• UNESCO/L’Oreal Fellowships for women in science in
Sub Saharan Africa.
• ANSTI German Academic Exchange Services - DAAD
postgraduate fellowship program
• Conference Grants
• Staff Exchange Program
• The regional African Bi-annual Conference of ViceChancellors and Deans of Science, Engineering and
Technology (COVIDSET )
The COVIDSET conference(s)
• The Conference of Vice Chancellors, Provosts, Deans of
Science, Engineering and Technology (COVIDSET), is a
biennial forum for university leaders responsible for
Science, Engineering and Technology (SET) education to
meet and dialogue on strategic and emerging issues in
Science, Engineering and Technology Education.
COVIDSET 2013 :
• Making education, science, technology and engineering training
work for Africa’s sustainable development: the role of
• Innovative use of science and engineering in: enhanced research
infrastructure, climate change mitigation and adaptation;
sustainable environmental and ocean management; access to
water, efficient energy, food security and healthcare delivery;
• Creating an effective synergy between science, engineering and
innovation, youth employment, entrepreneurship development
and inclusive growth
• Science technology and innovation policies for sustainable
development of Africa.
Other scholarships and grants
• Visiting (Staff Exchange) Fellowships
– The objective of the fellowship is to mutually
strengthen the human resources of the members
of ANSTI by pooling together their staff for
training and research purposes
• ANSTI Conference grants
– Senior Academic staff of ANSTI member
institutions can benefit from conference grants to
attend international conferences