The south after the civil warPresentation Transcript
By Bella Schnur
THE SOUTH AFTER
THE CIVIL WAR
The Civil War was the deadliest war on
Over 12,140 deaths occurred in the Battle
for Atlanta alone.
Battles were fought at Kennesaw
Mountain, Chickamauga, and Kolb’s Farm.
Civil War deaths totaled 620,000.
At the time of death, soldiers on both sides were dumped in mass graves.
Mothers, daughters, and sisters formed groups.
They went out in search of dead Confederate soldiers.
The organization was named the Ladies’ Memorial Association (LMA).
LADIES’ MEMORIAL ASSOC.
The US Government paid for the
burial of Union soldiers only.
• Originally known as the
"Marietta and Atlanta
• Marietta National Cemetery
was established in 1866.
• Nearly 10,000 Union dead
from Sherman’s Atlanta
Campaign were to be buried.
Henry Cole sold a large part of his land for $1.00 to establish this cemetery.
Mr. Cole intended for both Union and Confederate soldiers to be buried here.
Only Union soldiers were buried here.
The cemetery is a little over 23 acres.
MARIETTA NATIONAL CEMETERY
Mrs. Jane Porter Glover, wife of the
first mayor of Marietta, donated a
part of her farm, Bushey Park, to
bury Confederate soldiers.
It was established in September 1863.
• The first 20 Confederate soldiers
buried here died in a train wreck.
• Major expansion after the Battle at
• Greatest expansion in 1866 when
the GA Legislature allocated
$3,500 to the recovery effort.
MARIETTA CITY &
Catherine Winn and Mary Green organized the local women’s group.
They searched in Ringgold, Chickamauga, Kennesaw, and Kolb’s Farm.
HERE LIE THE MEN IN GREY
The original wooden markers
In 1902, plain marble markers
In 1907, Mrs. Glover gave the
property to the Ladies’
In 1908, the LMA gave the
cemetery to the State of
In 1908, the large monument
“To Our Confederate Dead”
“TO OUR CONFEDERATE DEAD”
In 1910, the “Little Cannon” was delivered to the cemetery.
“THE LITTLE CANNON”
After the Spanish-American
War, this cemetery was the first
place permitted to fly the
In 1910, 15 marble
markers, representing each of
the Southern states and the
Soldiers’ Home, were erected.
The Confederate portion of
the cemetery is known as the
“Garden of Heroes.”
“GARDEN OF HEROES”
Located in Atlanta, Georgia.
• Approximately 3,900
Confederate soldiers are
• Confederate Major Joseph H.
Morgan supervised the first
• In 1890, the wooden markers
were replaced with marble
• It is 48 acres.
HISTORIC OAKLAND CEMETERY
In 1869, the Atlanta Ladies’ Memorial
Association erected the
monument, “Our Confederate Dead.”
In 1862, seven men called
“Andrews’ Raiders” took
control of “The General”
train in Big Shanty (present
day Kennesaw), Georgia.
They were captured and hung
in the Oakland Cemetery.
This historic marker details
THE GREAT LOCOMOTIVE CHASE
The Lion marks the final resting place of nearly 3,000 unknown soldiers.
THE LION OF ATLANTA
Tens of thousands of people visit Oakland Cemetery every year.
It is known as a “Garden Cemetery” with numerous
mausoleums, monuments, sculptures, and gardens.