Rm ppt on A STUDY OF WORK LIFE BALANCE OF GENERATION Y AT THYSSENKRUPP, PUNE.
Studied, Compiled and submitted by:
Roll No 57 Priyanka Kushwaha
Roll No 58 Sneha Ganesh
Roll No 60 Madhuri Tagalpallewar
Roll No 61 Shikha Vora
Roll No 62 Amit Zaware
• For many high potential Gen Y (People born between
1977- 87) employees, success isn’t necessarily defined as
working as far up the ladder as one can go.
•They more often want to be measured by project
completion, rather than in person in the office. So, they are
burdened with work load and pressure. Hence achieving
work life balance is important among generation Y.
• In this study the researcher aims to study work life balance
of Generation Y employees belonging to middle level
management at ThyssenKrupp, Pune
•This research is based on both primary and secondary data.
•This study helps the researcher in finding out what factors
affect the work life balance of the Gen-Y employees of middle
level management and whether the policies implemented by
the organization is sufficient to maintain a proper work life
• Work-life balance
for any one person is having the ‘right’
combination of participation in paid work and other aspects of
• Generation Y that is, people born in between 1977 to 1987
also known as the “millennium” are demographic
followers subsequent to Generation X.
• With the help of technology, Gen Y often set task-based
goals and want to finish their assignments efficiently.
• The study of the work life balance is targeted at
ThyssenKrupp India Pvt. Ltd, Pune. ThyssenKrupp is a German
multi-national company which has carved its niche in the
elevators and steel industry.
• As per Department of Education and Children’s Services
2010 of South Australia, Work life balance is defined as “The
interaction between paid work and other activities, including
unpaid work in families and the community, leisure, and
personal development. Work life balance is supported by the
development, implementation, and facilitation of programs,
practices and initiatives that enable employees to balance
their work and personal lives.”
• Generation Y are searching for new ways to define care
that do not force them to choose between spending time
with their children and earning an income and are looking
for definition of personal identity that do not pit their own
development against creating committed ties to others.
(According to Kathleen Gerson, Sociologist: Gerson,
Kathleen. Moral Dilemmas, Moral Strategies, and the
Transformation of Gender. The Kaleidoscope of Gender,
2011, p. 402.)
NEED FOR STUDY
This study necessitates the existence of proper work life
balance at ThyssenKrupp as it may aid in the following factors:
1) Retention and attraction
2) Motivating and improving performance of employees
3) Reducing stress arising at workplace.
4) Meeting professional and personal goals.
STATEMENT OF RESEARCH PROBLEM
“This research aims to study the factors affecting work life
balance of Generation Y employees employed at
• To study the relation between age, perception and
attitudes of generation Y and work-life balance employed
in middle management.
•To study the awareness among Gen-Y employees in
ThyssenKrupp about the work life balance policies adopted
by the organisation.
•To study the different factors amounting to pressure,
which a Gen-Y employee experiences from various sources
• The scope of the study is restricted to only a particular age
group born between (1977-1987) called the Generation Y.
• For this study, we have only chosen middle management
• The study is limited to the information gathered from the
ThyssenKrupp organization only.
• The scope of study is limited to Pune region only.
• The study is solely based on the responses of Generation Y
employees of ThyssenKrupp.
•This study was limited by time constraints.
•Reluctance on part of employees in responding to the
• It helps in establishing proper balance between work and
life of employees and also in prioritizing the tasks.
• It is stress management tool and increase the productivity
• It increases quality of work and gives work satisfaction.
• It helps in reducing health issues arising due to work
“Research Methodology is a way to systematically solve
the research problem it may be understood as a science
of studying how research is done scientifically”
Data Collection Techniques
• PRIMARY DATA
Information collected by the researcher directly through
instruments such as surveys, interviews, focus groups or
It is most accurate and up-to date data collection technique.
• We prepared Online questionnaire on Google docs and sent
via internet to employees.
Data Collection Techniques
• SECONDARY DATA
Reuse and repurpose information as secondary data from
primary data which is researched earlier by someone.
Easier and less expensive to collect
• We referred Books, Relevant websites, Magazines as
Type Of Research
• DESCRIPTIVE RESEARCH /statistical research
It describes data and characteristics about
the population or phenomenon being studied.
• However it does not answer questions about e.g.:
how/when/why the characteristics occurred, which is
done under ANALYTIC RESEARCH.
Total No. of employees
Middle level management employees
Employees under Generation Y
Interpretation: The percentage of female is 38% and male are 62% of 105
responses. The ratio of female to male composition is 8:13.
Income Bracket (Thousands/month)
10 to 20
31 - 40
Interpretation:76% of the employees amongst Y generation fall under an income more than
30 thousand. This refers to an ambition for a high standard of living.
1. How long have you been associated with this organization ?
Association with company in years
Amongst 105 employees 69% of the people are newly associated with the
company. This shows that there is good number of young blood working at
2. How many hours do you work in a day?
Interpretation:67% of employees work in normal working hours, whereas 33% of Generation Y
in ThyssenKrupp work overtime. These employees can be victims to high
working pressures as compared to those who work in the normal prescribed
0 9-10 hours
3. Do you work in shifts? If yes, in which shift?
Work in shifts
Yes 1st Shift
Yes 2nd Shift
Interpretation:66% of people in Generation Y work in shifts. The employees who do not work in
shifts works from 9am to 6pm. Employees working in first shift works from
6am to 3pm. Employees work from 3pm to 12am in 2nd shift. Work life balance
policies can be focused more on the employees working in 2nd shift as they work
late night thus experiencing more stress.
4. Do you feel tired/depressed/stressed at work?
Feel tired/depressed/stressed at work
75% of Generation Y of ThyssenKrupp has stated stress/depression and
pressure arising out of work.
5. If yes, this stress arises out of which
by peers and
Interpretation:86% of the people in Y generation have stated Working overtime and increased
work load and responsibilities as their reason for pressure/depression and
6. Does your company provide you flexible work
Flexible working hours
Interpretation:80%of people have also stated that ThyssenKrupp offer flexible working hours.
This is a benefit for employees, as they can choose their working hours.
7. Do you have intervals/break at work?
Breakfast, Lunch, R
Interpretation:Employees working in general and 1st shift enjoy more breaks as compared to
employees working in 2nd shift.
8. Are you satisfied with the leave policy adopted by
Are you satisfied with the leave policy adopted by
Interpretation:80% of employees are satisfied with the leave policy adopted by the company.
9. Do you spend satisfactory time with your family?
Spend satisfactory time with your family
72% said they experience satisfactory time with their family.
10. Are you aware of the work life balance policies
that your company offers?
Aware of the work life balance policies that
Interpretation:90% are aware of the work life balance policies offered by ThyssenKrupp.
11. If Yes, What activities does your company employ
to get proper work life balance?
Activities company employ to maintain
proper work life balance
ThyssenKrupp has implemented many policies for improving the work life
balance which can be seen from the above where 44% of Generation Y enjoys
sports, entertainment and outing as means of reducing stress/pressure/
12. Do you think that if an employee has good work
life balance, his working effectiveness will be more?
If an employee has good work life balance, his
working effectiveness will be more
Interpretation:96% prefer good work life balance for increasing working effectiveness. This
may help in increasing organizational productivity.
13. How do you rate your work life balance at
Work life balance rating
Interpretation:53% of generation Y have stated their work life balance is good. This states that
the area of work life balance at ThyssenKrupp can be improved towards
excellent and there is further scope of improvement in the areas below average.
FINDINGS & SUGGESTIONS
aspiring, enthusiastic and ambitious employees who prefer a
high standard of living
• Although the work life balance policies adopted by
organization for scope of improvement
• 80% of the employees belonging to Gen-Y who work in late
night 2nd shifts have reported work related stress which
should urge ThyssenKrupp management to help them
achieve work life balance
FINDINGS & SUGGESTIONS
• Company offers flexible working hours to the Gen-Y
employees but they have stated high stress from work which
could be opposing as flexible working hours are meant for
reducing stress. Reasons for the same can be studied by the
• Women’s increased participation in organizations, stresses
on the need to bring policies that improve work life balance.
• ThyssenKrupp has employed considerable work-life balance
policies for its employees and the awareness amongst the
employees in Gen-Y is also high regarding the same.
• Yet as per the responses received, high stress level can be
seen amongst Gen-Y employees, particularly in women and
employees working during the 2nd shift.
• Though the company offers flexible working hours the
Gen-Y employees have stated high stress from work which
• The overall work life balance has been mentioned as good
with scope for improvement in certain areas like working
overtime and increased work load.
• “Family issues and work life balance”•
“Embrace work life balance”- www.ispi.org/pdf
“How our work life balance is changing”www.gaurdian.co.uk
“Work life balance:”- www.fastcompany.com
“Work life balance articles”- www.ceoonline.com
Research Methodology Book – Kothari