“Marketing is that function of the
organization that can keep in constant
touch with the organization’s consumers,
read their needs, develop products that
meet these needs, and build a program of
communication to express the
Marketing is . . .
• About people—not stuff
• Listening- not just telling
• Organized, focused, consistent
• A team sport
Building a Marketing
Use the following 8 step outline as a
1. Introduction (Brief statement outlining
the context, relevant research, SWOT)
2. Communication goals (The Dream.
3. Objectives (Doable, measurable
4. Positioning statement (What do you
want people to think and feel about the
library? What’s your unique selling
5. Key audiences (internal and external)
6. Key message (What is your key
message and 3 talking points?)
7. Communication strategies (How will
you deliver the message?- media,
partnerships, WOMM, --consider who,
when, and $$)
8. Evaluation (Is it working? See
“Getting people to talk
often, favorably, to the
right people in the right
way about your product is
far and away the most
important thing that you
can do as a marketer.”
—George Silverman, “The Secrets of
Words of Wisdom
“No advertising is as trusted as the
spontaneous testimony of delighted customers.”
— Betsy Sanders, former vice president, Nordstrom
“Get someone else to blow your horn
and the sound will carry twice as far.”
“It’s easy. Use the 3 Bs to get the word out:
bars, beauty shops, barber shops.”
— Liz Cashell, Director, Henry County Library, Clinton, M0
“Your most unhappy customers are
your greatest source of learning.”
It’s all about
YOU. . .
– You are the library.
– Every encounter is an opportunity.
– In person, on the phone, via email
– In the library or in the community
– Listen and give feedback
– Service is a partnership.
– Build relationships
Remember, YOU are the memory
that the customer takes away.
Baltimore County Library
Great Ideas. . .
Zion Benton -
Customer Service Mottos
“People are the heart of our library. Quality
service begins with me.”
--Timberland Regional Library, Olympia, WA
“The world’s nicest library.”
--West Palm Beach (FL) Public
“We don’t try to be friendly; we just ARE.
--Bloomingdale (IL) Public Library
• Get Director buy-in
• Plan and deliver WOMM training for the
• Create a WOMM planning team for a 5-6
• Share the plan with the whole staff and get
feedback, build ownership
• Have a clear message sheet available to
• Report frequently and adjust if necessary
• CELEBRATE– and keep it going!
“Any car manufacturer should go to
Harley Davidson biker rally. They
learn a lot. It's almost too obvious. I'd
like to know how many car
sent their marketing staff to a HOG
Owners' Group) rally? They would
Can you build a core of
passionate users even if they
don’t wear leather?
What do you need to turn
customers into champions?
• Next steps. . .
• Next Action…