On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
Introduction to Decision MakingPresentation Transcript
ITRODUCTION TO DECISION MAKING
Dr. Akhlas Ahmed
MBA Class, Lecture # 01
Please write a one sentence definition of
The process of examining your possibilities
options, comparing them, and choosing a
course of action.
Be sure you are right ----then go ahead: Davy Crocket
MAKING EFFECTIVE DECISIONS…
Factors that may effect on effective decision
SIX C’s OF DECESION MAKING
Construct a clear picture of precisely what
must be decided
Compile a list of requirements that must be
Collect information on alternatives that meet
Compare alternatives that meet the
Consider the “what might go wrong” factor
with each alternative.
Commit to a decision and follow through with
INHERENT PERSONAL TRAPS…
1. Trying too hard to play it safe.
2. Letting fears and biases tilt your thinking
3. Getting lost in the minutia can cause
4. Craving for unanimous approval.
5. Trying to make decisions which are
outside your realm of authority.
INHERENT SYSTEM TRAPS…
1. Willing to begin with too little, inaccurate,
or wrong information.
2. Overlook viable alternatives or waste time
considering alternatives which have no
3. Not following the six C’s
4. Failure to clearly define the results you
expect to achieve.
5. Worst of all, failure to reach a decision.
DECESION MAKING IN MANAGEMENT…
RECOMMENDED TEXT BOOKS
Making Management Decisions
by Cooke and Slack:
Prentice Hall International