Associations Have Plenty of Internal Affairs to Tend to…
Sometimes, External Business Takes Priority
On the attack!
Repelling a threat!
“The art of letting somebody else
have your way.”!
- David Frost
What do your members want?!
What is best for the association?!
How do we win a battle without
starting a larger war?
Identifying the right tools
• Allies: Like-minded individuals and
groups to take up the cause!
“He who wishes to serve his country
must have not only the power to think,
but the will to act.” !
Message: From self interest to public
• Internal call to action writ large!
• Anticipate counter messaging!
“Know thy self, know thy enemy. A
thousand battles, a thousand victories.”!
- Sun Tzu
Relationships: Build them!!
• Reporters/editors: Gatekeepers en
route to your goal!
• Relevant reporters should be in your
• An intn’l incident should not be the
ﬁrst time you talk!
Cannon fodder: Useable content!
• Reporters need NEWS, steady drumbeat!
• Press releases!
• Op-eds, letters!
• Committed populace, other allies!
But, press loyal only to the ‘story’!
• Be bulletproof in terms of your position!
A lie gets halfway around the world before the
truth has a chance to get its pants on.
- Winston Churchill
Missile: expensive, targeted and makes a
• Not in every association’s arsenal!
• Very satisfying glow!
• Public awareness!
• Print: Adjacent to news, attention of
• Mail: Expensive, but delivered to their
• Online: Targeted demos, easily adjustable,
• Radio: Call to action; speciﬁc, engaged
• TV: Prestige, memorable, budget
considerations & re-use potential
Even a ﬂashbang can be seen from far
• Metro targets!
• I-85 echo chamber!
• Inﬂuencer targets!
• Inﬂating a modest buy!
• Coordination with press!
• Social media !
Free, but requires someone to have their ﬁnger
on the button!
• A stagnant page becomes a dismissed page
by press and constituents!
• Not as hard as you may think to maintain or
at least give the appearance!
• Don’t overextend with multiple pages
• Know your goals for posting!
• Clear calls to action for members!
• Making the most out of a hit!
• A study or poll can be broken into
several smaller bites all worthy of
an individual post
NC Retail Merchants Association!
• Tax Free Weekend!
• What the opponents said - This is going
to cost the state $11m in lost revenue!
• What the association said - This is going
to save the taxpayers $11m that they’ll
• Messaging and positioning!
• Direct media relations!
Call to Action
NC Association of Realtors!
• Land transfer tax, 2007-2008!
• Mass outreach!
• TV, radio, print!
• Direct mail, chase calls, door to
• Call to action: Contact legislators!
• Generated 50,000 emails and calls!
• 24 referenda = 100% victory
You may have to fight a battle more than once to
- Margaret Thatcher
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.