Definition and Facts
• Mobile applications, mobile apps, or what most people use is apps.
• “is application software designed to run on smartphones, tablet
computers and other mobile devices.” by Wikipedia.
• apps are internet applications that run on your smart phone.
• The most famous Operating systems that run apps are Android, IOS,
• 91% of smart phone use is for social activities.
History of mobile apps
• Mobile application were made available by the existence of
• Multifunctional devices are more commonly known as smart phones.
• Mobile applications started appearing in the late 20th century.
• The operating systems on smart phones allowed the development of
3rd party software .
• They became more common after the Wireless Application
• WAP allowed smart phone to use the internet.
History of mobile apps Cont.
• Apple and Research in Motion (RIM or Blackberry) were one of the
first manufacturers to implement the App store idea.
• Cell phones were the leader of the market share with 46% in Feb
• In May 2013 smart phones were leading the market share with 56%.
• Here is a great video that shows the revolution of mobile
Mobile applications today
• Today a smart phone is essential to every person.
• The average age for the first cell phone is 13 years old.
• It took the radio 38 years to reach 50 million users, where it took
Draw Something App 50 days only.
• The average person uses their smart phone for 1.8 hours a day.
• 18% of that is spent on Facebook.
• And 32% of that is spent playing games.
Mobile applications today Cont.
• 60% of Twitter users access it using smart phones.
• 80% of smartphone owners use it in front of the TV.
• Facebook makes 30% of their revenue through.
• 68% of smart phone owners use their phones to research about
• 35% of those purchase the product on their smart phones.
• Here is a video which shows how important apps are [Video #2]
Mobile application in the future
• By 2017 mobile apps will be downloaded more than 268 billion times.
• Which will produce $77 billion in revenue.
• Its predicted that every human on the earth would have downloaded
37 mobile apps.
• In 2014 it is expected to have adaptive mobile OS, which will learn
from the users behavior.
• Smart glasses and watches.
• Here is a video that shows what the future is caring for mobile
• Mobile applications are taking over the smart phone
• Apps are even more used then calling and texting.
• Using smart phones for social activities is the major
part of application use.
• Wikipedia Definition
• What is a mobile application
• What is a mobile application 2
• History of mobile Application
• State of mobile 2013
• 2017 predictions
• Mobile Apps in the future
• Future technology