As we work together toward the growth of Africa’s
future, we need partnerships that deliver the ideas of
tomorrow, today. At Boeing, we rise to that challenge
and to a future that is boundless.
BOEING PRINT FOOTE CONE & BELDING
3. MORE THAN 2/3 OF THE EARTH’S SURFACE IS COVERED BY WATER.
• The majority of that—97.5%—is salt water, leaving only 2.5% as fresh water.
• Nearly 70% of the fresh water is frozen in the icecaps of Antarctica and Greenland.
That means less than 1% of the water supply on earth can be used as drinking water.
• This 1% is the water found in lakes, rivers, reservoirs and those underground aquifers
that can be tapped at an affordable cost. Only this amount is regularly renewed by
precipitation and is therefore available on a sustainable basis.
1.1 BILLION PEOPLE WORLDWIDE DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO
SAFE DRINKING WATER. THAT’S ROUGHLY 20% OF THE WORLD’S
POPULATION. MOST OF THE WORLD’S PEOPLE MUST WALK AT
LEAST 3 HOURS TO FETCH WATER.
• 2.4 billion people worldwide lack access to adequate sanitation services
• Nearly 5,000 children die every day from diseases associated with unsafe water
and poor sanitation and hygiene.
• Unsafe water and poor sanitation also cause an estimated 80 per cent of all
diseases in the developing world.
PERCENT OF POPULATION WITHOUT
ACCESS TO SAFE DRINKING WATER
MORE THAN 2/3 OF THE EARTH’S SURFACE IS COVERED BY WATER.
• Some countries use less than 10 litres per person per day. Gambia uses 4.5, Mali 8,
1985 1990 1995 2015
Somalia 8.9, and Mozambique 9.3.
• By contrast the average US citizen uses 125 gallons of water per day for drinking,
cooking, cleaning and hygiene. One flush of a Western toilet uses as much water as
the average person in the developing world uses for a whole day.
• 340 billion gallons of water are used every day in the United States. This total
includes water used in irrigation, in industry, and in fire fighting and street cleaning.
HOW MUCH WATER DOES IT TAKE...?
• Washing your hands can use up to 3 gallons.
• Leaving the water running while you brush your teeth can waste up to 5 gallons.
• The average toilet uses 5 to 7 gallons per flush.
• Cutting one minute off your shower time can save about 700 gallons per month.
• Automatic dishwashers use about 15 gallons per load.
• The average bath takes about 36 gallons.
• It takes 1,500 gallons of water to process 1 barrel of beer.
• It takes 39,000 gallons of water to manufacture a new car.
DOW CHEMICAL PRINT FOR NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC DRAFTFCB