Authoring Tool of AAT
Computing Center, Academia Sinica
Feb 20th 2009
• Database schema: copied from Getty
• Data: 32356 records, provided by Getty
• Interface: referring to VCS by Getty
• Thanks to Getty Research Institute and Dr.
• Designer: Andy Liu (¼B´¼º~ )
• Developing framework: DADT (Digital
Archive Database Tool)
• Working Days: 10 days
E-R Model of Three Levels (part)
• AAT Authoring Tool with DADT
– Using Grids
Metadata on the Way
• Metadata standards for data exchange and
• Over one thousand standards
• Selecting and changing standards
• Various ways of usage with the same
• Increasing requirements for applications
• Over one hundred data elements
• Deeper and wider hierarchy
• Multiple occurrences of parent and leaf
• Various data types
• Links among metadata records
• Relations among elements, e.g. hierarchy
Databases for Metadata
• Native XML Databases
– eXist, Xindice, X-Hive/DB, etc.
• RDBMS with XML extension
– Pure RDBMS
– Decomposing a hierarchy structure into tables
due to one-to-many relations
• Reconstruct hierarchy
• Text retrieval
DADT: Management Page
• Data change
– Mixture of insertion, update and deletion
– Entry check: data type, length, null and range
– User-defined functions for check and value setting
– Foreign key maintenance(data integrity)
– Foreign key value setting during insertion
– Cascade update and deletion
– Link manipulation
– Data history
– Upload files to a file pool or blob fields
Compile Management Page
• Each table is bound with a form.
– The table name is the form name.
– The field names of the table are the names of the
input elements in the form.
• Multiplex input elements: text, hidden,
password, textarea, select, radio, checkbox
• For text and textarea elements, set value
ranges and/or warning messages for fields
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.