This presentation was given at FMCC on April 7, 2014. It focused on "pulling it all together." The presentation served to summarie how to make the key family medicine "asks" and connect them to your story.
• Teaching Health Centers
• 2015 Spending Priorities
• Extend the enhanced Medicaid
payment for primary care services
beyond December 31, 2014.
• Make OB/GYN physicians eligible if at
least 60 percent of their Medicaid
billing is for primary care services.
Teaching Health Centers
• Reauthorize the Teaching Health Center (THC)
program this year.
• Senators should cosponsor S.1759
• Representatives should consider introducing legislation to
reauthorize the teaching health center program.
• Provide a sustainable funding stream such as
Medicare Graduate Medical Education (GME),
modified to fit this vital program
2015 Spending Priorities
• $71 million for Primary Care Training
and Enhancement (PCTE).
• $375 million for the Agency for
Healthcare Research and Quality
Hone the Message with the
• Hello, my name is  and I’m from  (establishes
• I am here to talk to you about [key issues]
• Knowing of your interest in [info about your audience] I
think you’ll be interested as well
• This is important to the people I represent because
• That’s why I really hope you’ll [ask]
• I’d like to follow-up by [follow-up ideas]
• Contact information?
The Main Argument You Might Get (and
What to Say)
What are you asking for?
Why might your audience want that?
What compelling story can you share?
How can you best connect with staff?
What can you do to follow-up?
Schedule your site visit
Schedule a local meeting
Attend a townhall
Connect on social media
Year ‘Round: Net-Play
Stop stressing about
a 27-step process
for getting to know
people. Go to
events, talk to
people and focus on
those you like. The
rest will come.
Go Forth and Advocate!
Take the Advocacy Pledge