• According to a detailed analysis on Slate.com, Kyle
Beckerman did it like a guy caught posing for his mug
shot, Ioannis Maniatis did it like a hip-hop dancer, Javad
Nekounam like a disapproving dad, Jefferson Montero
like an automaton. John Boye turned too much, while
DaMarcus Beasley did not turn at all.
• The website concluded that Benoît Assou-Ekotto did it
the best. He was graceful, funny, relaxed and made it
look like a “joyous invitation to come to his place and
watch some Adventure Time.”
What is being talked about?
• Sheriff William Federspiel, from Saginaw County Jail in the US
state of Michigan, recently told US media their classic prison
jumpsuit was now seen as a fashion item. And he did not want
anyone confused about who belongs behind bars and who is
merely making a fashion statement.
• Federspiel said people thought it was “cool to look like an
inmate of the Saginaw County Jail. Wearing these bright
jumpsuits out at the mall or in public.”
• This prompted a decision to replace them with a black and
white striped jumpsuit similar to styles of prison uniform from
the early 20th century.
What did Federspiel blame for the sudden rise in popularity of
these “bright jumpsuits”?
ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK.
THE ORANGE JUMPSUITS SHOWN IN THE NETFLIX SHOW.
• Pedro Bravo, 20, stands accused of kidnapping and strangling
his friend Christian Aguilar, 18, in September 2012 when they
shared a room at the University of Florida.
• The murder trial at the Alachua County Criminal Justice
Centre, Florida, last week, heard how the men had argued
over Aguilar dating Bravo's ex-girlfriend, Erika Friman.
• What appears to be a pretty common murder case has gained
great media scrutiny because of something that Bravo did at
the time of Aguilar’s death, which has made him the lead
suspect in the case and has also highlighted how technology
can unwittingly be an accomplice to a murder.
What did Pedro Bravo do?
HE ASKED SIRI WHERE TO HIDE THE BODY.
(AND SIRI PROVIDED A LIST OF POSSIBLE PLACES.)
• X was an American baseball player who played 17
seasons in Major League Baseball for the New York
Yankees. A seven-time All-Star and six-time World
Series champion, X was twice named the Most Valuable
• When the Yankees began their 1939 spring training, it
was clear that X was physically unwell. His running was
affected, and at one point he collapsed at the field. By the
end of spring training, he had not hit a home run. He was
considered an excellent base runner, but as the 1939
season got under way, his coordination and speed had
• As his condition worsened, he arrived at the Mayo Clinic.
After extensive testing, the diagnosis of Y was confirmed.
The prognosis was grim: rapidly increasing paralysis,
difficulty in swallowing and speaking, and a life
expectancy of less than three years, although there would
be no impairment of mental functions. The cause was
unknown but it was painless, non-contagious and cruel —
the motor function of the central nervous system is
destroyed but the mind remains fully aware to the end.
• After his death in 1941, the disease Y became popularly
known as X’s disease.
ID X and Y.
X - LOU GEHRIG.
Y - AMYOTROPHIC LATERAL SCLEROSIS (ALS).
• X, named after one of the most popular characters in
literature, is an upcoming novel by Anthony Horowitz. It
begins with the line, “Does anyone believe what happened at
• The plot description reads : “The death of X has created a
poisonous vacuum, which has been swiftly filled by a fiendish
new mastermind who has risen to take his place. Ably
assisted by inspector Athelney Jones, Frederick Chase must
forge a path through the darkest corners of the capital to
shine light on this shadowy figure, a man much feared but
seldom seen, a man determined to engulf the city in a tide of
murder and menace.”
ID X and Y.
PEOPLE UPLOADING BRAZIL VS.
GERMANY MATCH ON PORN SITES.
• The movie X, digitally restored, was released for the first
time on 17th January, 2014, in theatres, 26 years after its
• Wikipedia states the genre of the movie as
“Experimental”. The movie “employs a nonlinear
narrative and an absurdist storyline to satire, mythology,
arts, politics and philosophy.”
• The movie has been greatly praised by critics for its
unconventional approach and has even been described
as a “LSD trip”.
HEAD OF THE CENTRAL BOARD OF FILM CERTIFICATION,
RAKESH KUMAR, ARRESTED ON CHARGES OF BRIBERY FOR
PASSING THIS FILM.
• The village of Shibniwas in Nadia, motivated by the
efforts of a young man named Anjan Sukul, has been
celebrating a certain occasion on 18th August every year
• The village hosts cultural and social activities like tribal
dance, drawing competition, senior citizen walk and a
boat race on the Churni river.
What does the village celebrate?
(SHIBNIWAS WAS ADDED TO PAKISTAN FIRST, BUT WAS SHIFTED BACK
TO INDIA ON 18TH AUGUST, 1947.)
• In late May, 2014, Thailand's military said that they were
monitoring a new form of silent resistance to the coup.
• Col. Sukhondhapatipak told the press : “If it is an obvious form of
resistance, then we have to control it so it doesn't cause any
disorder in the country. We know it comes from the movies and
let's say it represents resistance against the authorities.”
• “If a single individual does this, we are not going to arrest him or
her.", he said. “But if it is a political gathering of five people or
more, then we will have to take some action. If it persists, then
we will have to make an arrest.“
What “silent resistance” is being talked about that stands for
“Thank you, Admiration and Goodbye”?
• Conversation from The Guardians of the Galaxy after
Peter Quill brings the other Guardians to his ship :
Gamora : And Quill... Your ship is filthy.
Peter Quill [to Rocket] : She has no idea. If I had a
blacklight, this place would look like a X painting.
• X is a collective name for many Cartoon Network original
series which were produced by Hanna-Barbera and Cartoon
Network Studios, with smaller studios focusing on individual
projects. During its time, the X line spawned 15 original
programs for Cartoon Network. In 2003, Cartoon Network
stopped using the X moniker for its original animation.
• Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, I Am Weasel, The
Powerpuff Girls, Ed, Edd ‘n Eddy, Courage the Cowardly Dog,
Sheep in the Big City and Codename : Kids Next Door were
some of the series of the X line.
Filmography of Niels Arden Oplev as director :
• Portland (1996)
• Headbang I Hovedlandet (1997)
• Fukssvansen (2001)
• We Shall Overcome (2006)
• Worlds Apart (2008)
• The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009)
• Dead Man Down (2013)
• Kapgang (2014)
• X (2016)
• “God is a Gamer” is an upcoming novel by
Ravi Subramaniam. It is being promoted by
Penguin India as the “World’s First X Thriller”.
• The plot description reads :
“Aditya runs a struggling gaming company.
Varun, a part-time drug dealer and full-time
genius, enters the scene and turns around the
company before disaster strikes. A banker dies
when the rooftop of a high-rise building proves
too slippery. A finance minister who wears his
heart on his sleeve has made some promises
that he is finding hard to keep. A bomb goes off
in Washington, sending the FBI on a wild goose
chase in Mumbai.
This prompts the investigators to explore the X
angle and illegal transactions.”
Diego Trujillo is playing the lead role in the Latin American TV show Metastasis
developed by Sony. Some of the characters in the TV show are called Jose
Miguel Rosas, Henry and Maria Navarro, Saul Beno, Gustavo Cortes. Why is the
TV show getting much attention?
(JAMES FOLEY WAS BEHEADED BY ISIS. STERLING ARCHER
WORKS FOR A FICTIONAL ORGANIZATION CALLED ISIS.)
• Xenia Ignatyeva fell nine meters to her death from a railway
bridge in St. Petersburg, Russia.
• Courtney Sanford was driving along Interstate 85, a US
highway, when her car crashed and she died.
• Isabella Fracchiolla died after falling 18 meters onto jagged
rocks in the Italian seaside town of Taranto.
• Oscar Otero Aguilar, a Mexico City resident died after
accidentally shooting himself in the head.
• A 14-year-old died in Pasig City after she accidentally slipped
and fell from the stairs of her school building.
All of these deaths occurred in 2014. How are they connected?
• Written Round.
• 7 items.
• +5 for each.
• -5 for each extra item, if any team lists more than 7 items.
• +20 for a full house.
RIP ROBIN WILLIAMS.
• President Obama on Robin Williams :
“Robin Williams was an airman, a doctor, a genie, a
nanny, a president, a professor, a bangarang Peter
Pan, and everything in between.”
• For every character mentioned, list the most famous
movie where Robin Williams played the character.
• Time : 120 seconds.