HIRING FOR STARTUPS
500 STARTUPS – MAY 6, 2014
•Focus on Customer
•Be Great at 1 Thing
WHO AM I?
HOW DO YOU BUILD A TEAM?
oKnow what you’re hiring for
oKnow what you’re going to ask
oHave an opinion & back it up
WHAT MAKES A STARTUP’S CULTURE?
RECRUIT FOR YOUR CULTURE
NICE TO HAVES MUST HAVES
• 3 Years PM
• Customer Focus
• Work Ethic
• Certain Skills
• Give me an example of a time you:
• … blew a customer away? (Customer Obsession)
• … delivered a key project under deadline? (Deliver Results)
• … improved a process of co-worker(Invent and Simplify)
• What did YOU do?
• How did you know it worked/didn’t?
• What could you have done better? Or, did you, in future?
• Give me another
FAVORITE OTHER AREAS
• What did you do to prepare for this interview?
• What are three ways we should improve our
product, to blow away our customer?
• 3 Adjectives people use to describe you
• Give examples of what you’ve done
• Give them time for questions
• Suster: ”No. Curiosity. No. Job.”
WHERE DO YOU FIND STARS?
•Word of Mouth
• ABR (always be recruiting)
• Interview cheat sheet (txt file)
• Don’t walk thru resume (lazy)
• Take lots of notes & type up interview
• Interview many candidates at once
• 4-6 interviewers (key employees, board)
• Assign areas of focus to interviewers
• Everyone log ‘votes’ before you meet
• Schedule in-person debrief with everyone
• Yes, eyes wide open
• Look for great
• Probe on anything where not raving
• Find a way to talk to non-references
• Read Mark Suster post:
• When to Sell the Candidate?
• Recruiters vs. in-House?
• Referral Program?
• Comp Levels
• Customer conversations
• Be Great at One Thing
• Hiring too fast once funds raised
WANT OTHER ADVICE?
• Mentor sessions tomorrow
• AWS Activate benefits for 500Startups
• This presentation borrowed from: