Guaranteed there are budgets being spent right now that are confusing View & Click conversions
Commerce <headlines> Moving your cheese <headlines from tw api changes> And the statuses of all of these products change month-to-month: that means inefficiencies for marketers to exploit No level playing field, no efficient market
1. Twitter! Ads!
Market Inefficiencies in the Twitter
3. TWTR: $1B+ Revenue
4. Ad Platforms get Exciting, then Stale
5. Compelling Tweets
• Twitter is an IMMEDIATE medium:
– Noteworthy offer, Limited-time:
6. The Skeleton of Twitter Ads
• Promoted Trends, Accounts, TWEETS
• Promoted trends are like #SUPERBOWL &
promoted accounts are like
• Central tension in Twitter's ad-business model
is BRAND vs. DIRECT-RESPONSE. Twitter is
actively more brand-centric.
7. The Creative
• Dark Tweets - don't show up in your account's
organic timeline, optionally exclude organic
followers. You can be more Sales-y
8. Audience Targeting
• Earlier in 2014, in addition to targeting lists of
handles and followers of handles:
• Custom CRM audiences The catch is you
can't just upload your own list, you need an
agency partner to hash your email list and
send it to Twitter
• Retargeting pixels available , but you have
to get it through a partner agency
9. Non-obvious: Lead-gen Cards
• Lead-gen cards - the smoothest PII capture on
• Tap to get an email address!
• Works for inside sales model.
• If you are a business that can value a newly
acquired email, lead-gen cards are for you.
10. Example: iframe Lead-Gen Card
• iframe lead-form (same as
Vines/music players - but
• Was in test earlier in 2014 -
I believe that is still in test -
and they may kill it before
it gets GA
11. Example: Conversion Pixel
• Conversion pixel: GA in Q1 2014. View-
through vs. click-through conversions.
12. Success Metrics Complexity
• Twitter is more explicit reporting view-
through vs. click-through conversions than FB
• Startup marketers: don't care about
'engagements' - that is some made-up
obfuscation to sell to big brand marketers.
13. Attribution Complexity
• Multi-touch attribution: First?/Last?/Linear?
• Overlap between platforms
– FB & TW no observed overlap/cookie-jacking
14. Twitter Ads are a Changing
• Features & ad products available in 3 stages:
private beta, through agency partners, g.a:
15. The Battle Plan
• Manage paid social like organic social
• A/B test, but not too strictly: when you find a
message that resonates, let it ride - but keep
pumping new tweets in multiple times per
• Have a well-defined POV on conversion
definition & revenue attribution