Be the first to like this
Kaltura Connect - September 30, 2013
- More than 1 billion people have a disability
- 56.7 million report a disability in the U.S.
- 48 million (20%) in the U.S. have some hearing loss
- 11% of postsecondary students report having a disability
- 45% of 1.6 million veterans seek disability
- 177,000+ veterans claimed hearing loss
Captions are text that is time-sychronized with the media. They convey all spoken content as well as relevant sound effects. Captions originated in the early 1980s from an FCC mandate for broadcast TV.
The 21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act requires all Internet programming that previously aired on television with captions to have captions online, as well.
The values of captioning include:
- Accessibility for deaf and hard of hearing
- Accessibility for ESL viewers
- Flexibility to view anywhere, such as noisy environments or offices
- Navigation, better UX
- Used as source for translation
Check out the slideshow for a how-to on captioning your videos with Kaltura and 3Play Media!
Tole Khesin | VP of Marketing, 3Play Media
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.