SlideShare for iOS
by Linkedin Corporation
FREE - On the App Store
ATIA 2013, January 30, 2013 ...
ATIA 2013, January 30, 2013
- More than 1 billion people have a disability
- 56.7 million report a disability in the U.S.
- 48 million (20%) in the U.S. have some hearing loss
- 11% of postsecondary students report having a disability
- 45% of 1.6 million veterans seek disability
- 177,000+ veterans claimed hearing loss
Captions are text that is time-sychronized with the media. They convey all spoken content as well as relevant sound effects. Captions originated in the early 1980s from an FCC mandate for broadcast TV.
The 21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act requires all Internet programming that previously aired on television with captions to have captions online, as well.
The values of captioning include:
- Accessibility for deaf and hard of hearing
- Accessibility for ESL viewers
- Flexibility to view anywhere, such as noisy environments or offices
- Navigation, better UX
- Used as source for translation
View the slideshow for a how-to on adding captions to your lectures and videos with 3Play Media.
Tole Khesin | VP of Marketing, 3Play Media