2. Introduction Animals killed for food –KFC and Mc Donalds torture. Animals in Entertainment Clothing Experimentation How can we help? Bibliography
3. Cruelty to animals, also called animal abuse is the crime of inflicting suffering or harm upon animals, for purposes other than self- defence. Today humans have become selfish enough to kill other living beings i.e. animals for their own pleasure and needs. But people do not realize that animals too have the right to live on this planet as much as we humans do.
4. As Paul Mc Cartney has said- “If slaughterhouses had glass walls we would all be vegetarian” is so true. Over 10 billion animals are slaughtered for human consumption each year such as Cattle,chickens,pigs etc. Laying hens are kept in tiny cages, and many of the hens die from stress or disease. These animals will never raise their families, root around in the soil, build nests, or do anything that is natural and important to them. Most wont even feel the sun on their backs or breathe fresh air until the day they are loaded onto trucks bound for slaughter.
5. Not many of us know the truth behind the “HAPPY MEAL” served in mc donalds or the chicken bucket served in KFC. KFC and Mc. Donalds are two leading fast food ventures involved in bird torture. Activities: hanging the birds upside- down by their legs and running their heads through an electrified bath that often doesnt shock them sufficiently to be knocked unconscious as their throats are slit and their bodies are dunked in tanks of scalding-hot water for feather removal. Their beaks are chopped off by hot blades.
6. Since 1990 captive elephants have killed 43 people. That proves that Elephants are peaceful animals and do not harm unless for their own defence. Cruel sports such as Bullfights still exist in todays world, being incredibly gruesome and cruel, with animals being tortured and having spears thrown into their backs until they finally succumb to a slow death. Circuses,zoos,marine parks,advertisements,tv shows,movies,horse racing.
7. Not many of us know that more than 50 million animals are violently killed for use in fashion every year. Bold fashion statements are a result of death of numerous exotic animals like leopards,snakes,zebras etc. We can instead use artificial or synthetic fur and leather. Minks,foxes,rabbits are killed for fur to make beautiful fur coats. Cows for leather to make jackets,belts, bags etc.
8. Nowadays, many animals are being used in scientific and medical research. They often undergo cruel methods of testing and suffer greatly as a result. The Draize eye test is an example -it is used to test shampoos, weed killers, pesticides etc. The substances are applied to the eyes of conscious rabbits in order to test irritancy.this is the heights of cruelty. Body shop a cosmetic brand is strictly is against animal testing. Nivea and Revlon also do not test on animals.
9. The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act,1960 is a federal law of India enacted to prevent the unnecessary pain or suffering on animals. Which forbids people from hunting,poaching,illegal trades of musk,rhino horns,fur etc PETA is an american based organisation which is against cruelty to animals.
10. We can help by not using musk perfumes. By donating to organizations like PETA. By becoming a vegetarian. By using cosmetics of brands which do not use animals for testing. We can include the topic of animal rights in the syllabus of schools for awareness. I have taken a pledge to not wear fur and animal skin. I have done my bit. Have you..?