HOW IS THE ANIMAL ABLE TO SWIM SO FAST?
-Their wings make them excellent swimmers.
-Penguin wings are paddle-like flippers used for swimming.
-The motion of the flippers resembles the wing movements of flying birds, giving penguins the appearance
of flying through the water.
-The wing and breast muscles are well developed, to propel the penguins through water or, a medium much
denser than air.
HOW IS THE ANIMAL ABLE TO CAMOUFLAGE ITSELF?
• PENGUINS DISTINCT TUXEDO-LIKE APPEARANCE IS CALLED COUNTERSHADING , A FORM TO
CAMOUFLAGE THAT HELP KEEP THEM SAFE IN THE WATER.
DESCRIBE ANY EXTRAORDINARY FEATURES.
• EMPEROR PENGUINS DON’T HAVE NEST WHICH PROVIDE OTHER SPECIES OF BIRDS WITH LANDMARKS THAT HELP THEM
LOCATE AND RECOGNIZE THEIR MATE. THEY RELY ON SOUND RATHER THAN SIGHT TO RECOGNIZE AND FIND EACH OTHER IN
THE HUGE CROWD.
• WHEN A PENGUIN SINGS , ALL THE OTHERS WILL REMAIN SILENT. THIS PROTOCOL MAKES SURE THAT EACH PENGUIN WILL
TAKE TURN TO SING. AFTER TWO PENGUINS HAVE CHOSEN EACH OTHER AS MATES , THEY STOP SINGING AN MOVING ,
ADOPTING AN ECSTATIC POSITION.
• BREEDS DURING THE EXTREME COLD TEMPERATURE AS LOW AS 40 DEGREE CELSIUS . THE MALE INCUBATES THE EGG BY
PLACING IT ON HIS FEET AND COVER IT WITH A FOLD OF ABDOMINAL SKIN. ONCE THE CHICK HAS HATCHED, THE FEMALE
RETURNS TO TAKE CARE OF IT WHILE THE MALE HEADS OUT TO SEA TO FEED.
• THE BLUE PENGUIN, ALSO KNOWN AS THE FAIRY PENGUIN, IS THE SMALLEST OF THE PENGUIN SPECIES AT 16 INCHES TALL
(41M) IT WEIGHS ABOUT 2.2 (1KG) POUNDS. THE LARGEST PENGUIN IS THE EMPEROR PENGUIN WHICH IS ABOUT 3.7 FEET
(1.1M) TALL AND WEIGHS ABOUT 60 TO 90 POUNDS (27-41KG) THEIR LIFESPAN IS 15-20 YEARS DEPENDING ON THE
DESCRIBE HOW THE ANIMAL IS
BORN.-EACH FEMALE PENGUIN WILL LAY A SINGLE EGG. THE FEMALE LAYS HER EGG
-THE EGG MUST UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ROLL ON THE ICE. WITHIN MINUTES
IT WILL FREEZE. THE FEMALE PENGUINS WILL OBSERVE IT AND IF SHE FAILS TO
DO SO,THE EGG EXPOSE TO THE FREEZING AIRFOR MORE THAN AN INSTANT
WOULD DESTROY THIS MAGIC EMBRYO.
-AFTER THAT THE FEMALE PENGUIN SLIDES THE EGG ONTO HER FEET AND
IMMEDIATELY HIDES IT IN HER INCUBATING POUCH.
DESCRIBE HOW THE ANIMALS
BODY FUNCTIONS TO ENABLE
IT TO SURVIVE IN THE COLD.•ITS PENGUIN FAT LAYER THAT PROTECTS THEM AGAINST
THE COLD MORE THAN ANYTHING WILD IN THE SEA
•ON THE LAND, THEIR FEATHERS HAVE A VERY VALUABLE
FUNCTIONS IN KEEPING THEM WARM.
•PENGUIN FEATHERS AREN’T LIKE THE LARGE FLAT
FEATHERS THAT FLYING BIRDS HAVE, THE ARE SHORT WITH
AN UNDER-LAYER OF FINE WOOLLY DOWN
DESCRIBE THE HABITAT OF THE ANIMALS.
• ALL PENGUINS HAVE TO LIVE CLOSE TO A BODY OF WATER WHERE THEY CAN HUNT FOR FOOD.
• THEY NEED PLENTY OF FISH , KRILL , SQUID TO BE ABLE TO SURVIVE . THIS IS WHY THEY MAINLY LIVE
CLOSE TO COLD WATER CURRENTS. THESE CURRENTS ARE ABLE TO PULL A GREAT DEAL OF THESE TYPES
OF FOOD TO THE SURFACE FOR THEM.
• THAT IS WHY THEY ARE OFTEN FOUND ALONG THE COASTAL REGIONS OF SOUTH AMERICA , AFRICA,
AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND.
• ALL PENGUINS ARE CONSIDERATE AND RESPONSIBLE ANIMALS BECAUSE…
• WHILE THEY ARE TRYING TO FIND THEIR SUITABLE PARTNERS, THEY WILL TAKE TURNS TO SING AND ALL
THE OTHER PENGUINS WILL REMAIN SILENT. THIS PROTOCOL MAKES SURE THAT EACH PENGUIN CAN BE
HEARD WHILE THEY ARE SINGING.
• THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE ANIMALS BECAUSE RIGHT AFTER THEY MATE WITH THEIR PARTNERS AND HAVE A
BABY, THE MALE PENGUINS WILL FIND FOOD FOR THEIR FAMILY SURVIVAL.
In times of conflict and war, to whom
can we turn?
(What are some defence mechanisms
the animal has to protect itself?)
Since most penguins live far away from humans, they don’t need to protect
themselves from people. Their main predators are the leopard seal, killer
whale, and seabirds such as the Skua. Luckily, Penguins have been endowed with
attributes that enable them to protect themselves from killer whales, penguins
use their agility and their feet. Because penguins are small and very deft with
their flippers,they can swim very fast , dodging killer whales, which, though
fast, cannot turn very quickly. Zig-sagging through the water, penguins try to
make it to land, were they quickly hop onto their feet. They know that killer
whales cannot reach them once on land.
How can we ensure
Penguins have feathers to keep them warm right?
Well partly right , feathers work on land , but in water where
penguins spend quite a bit of their lives , they are not so
valuable . What really keeps penguins warm in the sea is a
sub-cutaneous (posh way of saying under-the-skin) layer of
fats . This fat layer also serve as a valuable energy store as we
will see later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1glUNZtjgQkIts video time!!!
I HAVE LEARNT TO WORK AS A TEAM . I ALSO
LEARNT TO BE PATIENT WHILE DOING THIS
PROJECTAND I LISTEN TO OTHERS OPINION
AND I ALSO GAIN KNOWLEDGE ABOUT
DIFFERENT KIND OF ANIMALS.
I HAVE LEARNT NEW THINGS ABOUT PENGUINS
AND OTHER ANIMAL. I ALSO LEARNT TO WORK
WITH MY GROUP MEMBERS AND GIVE OUT
I HAVE LEARNT TO COOPERATE WITH MY
GROUP AND LISTEN TO THEIR OPINION AND
HELP OUT IF THERE’S ANY HELP NEEDED. I ALSO
LEARNT MORE THINGS ABOUT PENGUIN.
• I LEARNT HOW TO MANAGE TIME AND LEARNT
HOW TO WORK WITH MY TEAM MATES IN ORDER
TO ACHIEVE WHAT IS NEEDED AND COMPLETE
THINGS IN SUCCESS.
• I LEARNT HOW TO COOPERATE WITH MY GROUP
MEMBERS AND I ALSO LEARN MORE ABOUT