Successful Fundraising -You Mean Business
Remember that a non-proﬁt business is still business. Humane organizations may be the
businesses with heart.... but there is still management, marketing, strategy, and other
skills involved that determine your success.
Fundraising is like being in sales. The product you are selling is the organization and
what it represents to the individual donor... and, you sell yourself.
Who should do your fundraising?
- Donʼt be afraid to hire the misﬁts with the crazy ideas who arenʼt afraid of anything
Key successful fundraising points:
- Maximize face time. If you can, ask in person. If you canʼt ask in person, ask on the
phone or Skype. If it has to be an email, personalize it as much as possible.
- Thank them (of course), but then thank them again. Thank them at a random time.
Thank them with a picture. Find out what they like. Stay in touch! Send a gift!
- BUT, donʼt pester them. Be friendly... not annoying.
- Blow your own horn! When something great happens, let them know. Even if itʼs just a
quick line, “thought youʼd want to see this great thing!”
- No whining. Everyone wants to be on a winning team. Ask for donations by presenting
goals, not begging for pity.
- Stretch - give the donor more than just the organization
- Borrow ideas that work
- KISS (Keep it simple, sunshine!) Find out what the donorʼs expectations are, and try to
meet them. Do Facebook, web site, etc.... but ﬁnd a way to be different.
- Maximizing tourist dollars and resorts
- Put inserts in rooms/lobby to show off your organization. Make it one of the
- Ask for one night a week/month/year to host an event at the resort during high
- Go out of your way to befriend the concierge and front desk people
- Try to send something home in their luggage so they remember you
Clara Lee Arnold Hopkins Belize Humane Society
212 CR 102 Oxford, MS 38655 662-816-4940