MEDIA TRAILERANALYSIS: THE CABININ THE WOODSBy David Ballantyne
• 00:06 – 00:07• The first shot we see is a long shot of a happy and sunny neighbourhood this creates pathetic fallacy for the audience, there is also a happy and upbeat soundtrack to make the audience feel safe. This is done to contrast against the horror and backgrounds later on within the film.
• 00:08 – 00:10• These three shots are mid to long shots to show the characters excitement about going on holiday with their close friends. This is done to allow the audience to relate to them and to also contrast against the fear and terror later on in the film.
• 00:12 – 00:23• There is a montage edit of long shots of the campervan driving to its destination, this shows the audience how isolated the group of friends are from civilisation and help.
• 00:24 – 00:25• The production company’s logo is shown with red smoke behind it to show the genre and there is also a change in soundtrack to show the transition from happy to horror.
• 00:26 – 00:30• These mid shots help to emphasise how isolated they are from any kind of civilisation, by showing a contrast from their neighbourhood.
• 00:31 – 00:41• There are shots of dialogue between this new character and the group of friends creating enigmas around the cabin, by talking about “he can get you there but getting back that’s there problem”.
• 00:42 – 00:45• There are three long to mid shots of the group of friends arriving at the cabin. This allows the audience to see actually how isolated they are, but to also show the friends settling in.
• 00:45 – 00:47• This title creates enigmas about the film and make the audience doubt the normal conventions within a horror. The background to the text they have used represents a force field linking to the feeling of being trapped.
• 00:48 – 00:52• These mid shots show the audience, the group exploring the cabin and finding strange things within. This makes the audience feel unsafe about the cabin.
• 00:53 – 00:54• This piece of text creates enigmas around the cabin and the woods that surround it.
• 00:58 – 01:03• These long shots of an eagle flying into a force field show the audience that the characters are now trapped inside the forest.
• 01:03 – 01:04• This text continues on from the previous pieces of text making the audience doubt everything they have already thought about this film.
• 01:04 – 01:06• There is a mid shot of the character we met before on the phone saying “ the lambs have passed through the gate, they have come to the killing floor”. This tells the audience that something isnt right and starts pulling you from the safe feeling.
• 01:06 – 01:08• There are varied shots of a control panel and screens showing the characters in their rooms. This tells the audience that they have been set up and that they have gone straight into a trap.
• 01:08 – 01:12• These mid shots show the group of friends starting to celebrate their holiday whilst completely oblivious to the danger around them.
• 01:16 – 01:17• There is then two close ups of two of the characters discussing what is going on. This shows the audience that the group are aware something isnt right.
• 01:17 – 01:18• There is a long shot of all the doors simultaneously slamming shut and locking and with the mid shot of the character, this shows that the characters are fully aware that they have been set up.
• 01:18 – 01:22• There is a close up of a mans arm pulling a lever which then shows to release something from the lake in the long shot. We can tell this is not part of the group pulling the lever by the costume, so we know that the bad guys are releasing the monsters upon the group.
• 01:23 – 01:25• There is a title informing the audience about the producer of the film, this is used to draw in fans of that persons work.
• 01:29 – 01:30• This piece of text tells that audience who else helped to produce this film and references another film, this helps to attract more of an audience.
• 01:25 – 01:27• There is a close up of the group locking the door and stepping back from it which informs the audience that the monsters have now started to attack the cabin.
• 01:28• There is a close up shot of the monster that has been attacking them, this shows the audience what the main monster is.
• 01:30 – 01:36• There is a close up of an vent opening and letting out some gas, then there is two mid shots of the group changing there plan, this implies to the audience that the bad guys can influence what the group think scaring the audience by taking the will to think.
• 01:37 – 01:38• This text informs the audience of when the film will be released.
• 01:39 – 01:43• These shots show that the group had a chance to leave but the bad guys stop them by blocking the tunnel out of the woods.
• 01:46 – 01:48• There are three close ups of one of the group discovering the cameras in there rooms and has realised it was set up. This gives the audience hope that they might uncover who is behind it all.
• 01:50 – 01:58• These pieces of text make the audience want to uncover that secret and the only way of doing this is to watch the film when it comes out. Between these pieces of text there is a montage of different clips showing glimpses of other monsters and bad guys, whilst the soundtrack picks up pace.
• 02:07 – 02:08• The montage carries on until 02:07 where we see the name of the film appear with the soundtrack climaxing at this spot