1. Brand MattersThe Lingua Franca of Pharmaceutical Brand Names Prepared By: Md. Masum Chowdhury Manager, Strategic Brand Management firstname.lastname@example.org_017176-42874
2. What is Lingua Franca ?• A lingua franca is a language used by different populations to communicate when they do not share a common language.
3. Why Brand Name is Important ?• Words have the power to inspire, to motivate and trigger a call to action. Words are the cornerstone of how we communicate.• That’s why - when we try to develop a brand name, we have to take this matter creatively, precisely and effectively.
4. The value of good Name• New brand name depends upon – selection of letters, making the word and meaning of names. Finally the value of words and language. It seems only logical to begin by looking to the semantics of the word brand.
5. How Brand Name originates ?• Brand originates from the Old Norse Brandr, meaning ‘to burn’. From the branding Livestock – a mark of distinction and differentiation.
6. The value of good Brand Name• Good Brand Name is – a mark of distinction and differentiation.• Good Brand Name is – a sign of quality and trust.• Overall, Trustmark has been established as a relationship.• Relationship securing preference and loyalty.• Loyalty sustains future earnings.
7. Foundation of good Brand Name• The strongest brands are built on foundations which are – – Credible – Differentiated – Sustainable,for the lifetime of the brand.
8. Credibility• The foundations of a brand needs to start with a –• Clarity of values – What a brand stands for• Clarity of vision – Where a brand is going• Clarity of mission – How it is going to get there• Crucial window of brand opportunity is vital to ensure, from the outset. A brand proposition that will be relevant and credible across all target audience.
9. Differentiation• Differentiation is the name of the game and a distinctive name will play its part in enabling stand-out from the competition.• A brand needs to work harder and to shout louder in order to be noticed.
10. Sustainability• Where might a brand ultimately be going ?
11. Brand Name – An art and a Science• For many years, naming a drug was considerably less complex than today. With fewer drugs on the market, trademark classes were less crowded and there was greater opportunity for ‘newness’ in a name.• GP and prescribing audience were the core focus of Pharma Companies’ naming efforts, brand monikers became predictable with many brands in a given category sounding like everyone else.
12. Brand Name – An art and a Science• Brand Name spoke largely to the science – referencing the generic and/or to the specificity of a drug’s indication.• MIMs and MPR will bear witness to certain trends that can be charted in pharma naming. For example – once upon a time maximum pharma brand names beginning with ‘A’.
13. Brand Name – An art and a Science• As competition grew, however, companies looked to new ways to signal something new and different in their brand name. The shock of the new came in the form of brand names beginning at the other end of the alphabet – ‘Z’.
14. Brand Name – An art and a Science• Under-utilized letter-prefixes of Z and X are widely used from corporate brand to product brand.• Visually distinctive and phonetically dynamic, Z and X had the double-edge benefit of sounding NEW , DIFFERENT. Z and X is the most under- exploited letters of the alphabet.
15. For effective Brand Name –pharmaceutical lingua-franca is very important skill for a Product Executive.
16. Few Scientific way for Pharmaceutical Brand Name1. Benefit-led Name/Benefit-driven name2. Linking Strategy Brand Name (Encode AA (Angiotension Antagonist), Hyzaar, Cozaar.3. Franchise Approach Brand Name4. Terminology Specific Brand Name (For example – Namenda – An NMDA receptor agonist, encoding NMDA (N-methyl-D-Aspartate).5. Therapeutic Class driven Name6. Corporate Heritage Brand Name7. Broad Spectrum of Name8. Abstract Approach9. Palindromic Approach
17. Few Scientific way for Pharmaceutical Brand Name1. Benefit-led Name/Benefit-driven name: Celebrex (Celecoxib) is the Benefit driven band name. Celebrex speaks to a quality of life message.Celebrex – Celebrating the Science of Celecoxib.Lee – Levofloxacin for Excellent EfficacyLexnil – Let Anxiety nil (Quality of Life Concept)Antison – A New dimension for treating Anxiety and DepressionEnbrel – Enabling Relief (Quality of Life Concept)
18. Few Scientific way for Pharmaceutical Brand NameLinking Strategy Brand Name : The Anti-hypertensive brands Hyzaar (Losartan Potassium) and Cozaar (Losartan Potassium+Hydrochlorothiazide) both encode AA (Angiotension Antagonist) within the brand name.
19. Few Scientific way for Pharmaceutical Brand Name• Franchise Approach Brand Name : Livial (Tibolone) is the Brand name of Wyeth International. But Nuvista marketed this brand in Bangladesh. Concor (Bisoprolol) is the brand name of MERCK,Germany but this brand marketed in Bangladesh by Popular Pharma. This is Called Franchise Approach.
20. Few Scientific way for Pharmaceutical Brand Name• Terminology Specific Brand Name (For example – Namenda – An NMDA receptor agonist, encoding NMDA (N-methyl-D-Aspartate).For example– NTZ (Nitazoxanide)– CP (Cefpodoxime Proxetil), Brand name of Acme– OP (Omeprazole) Brand Name of Globe Omeprazole
21. Few Scientific way for Pharmaceutical Brand NameTherapeutic Class driven Name :• 3rd Generation Cephalosporin (Cef-3 is the brand name of Square).• PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor), Brand name of Acme Omeprazole.• Erbitux () Referencing ERB• Herceptin () Encoding HER 2• Terceva () The ‘tar’geted approach of Tarceva.
22. Few Scientific way for Pharmaceutical Brand NameCorporate Heritage Brand Name : Rochipine is brandname of Roche Ceftriaxone. Roche is the originator ofCeftriaxone. So, Rochipine is the Corporate HeritageBrand Name.- Asitrum, Asilac represents the Asiatic. So Asitrum,Asilac is the Corporate Heritage Brand Name.
23. Few Scientific way for Pharmaceutical Brand NameBroad Spectrum of Name :- Names which are indicative of the generic- Unique mode of Action- Names which suggest certain benefits- Names which suggest certain advantages- Names which suggest certain features- Names which suggest specific category
24. Few Scientific way for Pharmaceutical Brand NameAbstract Approach : The term ‘abstract’ harks to names which do not encode any overt, inherent meaning.• For example – within the anti-emetic category, classic articulations of an ‘abstract name’ include Zofran and kytril. Neither is linked to generic, speaks to the category or references a specific benefit.• These six letter success stories are built on the simple dynamics of sound and tonality. They exemplify the fact that names communicate as much via construct as content.
25. Few Scientific way for Pharmaceutical Brand NamePalindromic Approach : as exemplified in such brands as XANAX, LOZOL, MERREM, KETEK,LEXXEL.
26. Few Scientific way for Pharmaceutical Brand Name‘Classic’ vowel/consonant constructions have cededto more innovative approaches, such as theconjunction of consonants, as exemplified in brandssuch as Vfend, an antifungal and Qvar, an asthmatreatment.
27. Criteria for Ideal Pharmaceutical Brand Name• Fit with the brand proposition• Relevant for all target audiences• Distinctive, unique and memorable• Future-proofed for the life of the brand
28. Criteria for Ideal Pharmaceutical Brand Name• Linguistically acceptable and appropriate• Registrable and protectable as a trademark and URL• Approvable by the requisite regulatory authorities.
29. Asiatic introduces...A Sign of Quality and Trust
30. A Sign of Quality and TrustBrand mark – the part of the brand that is a symbol or brand name – it mayinclude distinctive coloring or lettering. It is usually not spoken
31. A Sign of Quality and TrustLinking Strategy Brand NameA teno lol BP + Amlo d pi in e teno
32. A Sign of Quality and Trust
33. A Sign of Quality and TrustBenefit Driven Brand Name Atebit Keep the Beat ! ! ! Atenolol Balance It
34. A Sign of Quality and TrustTerminology Specific Brand Name Angiotensin Receptor Blocker Losartan Potassium
35. A Sign of Quality and TrustTerminology Specific Brand Name A rb i umAngiotensin Receptor Blocker Losartan Potassium
36. A Sign of Quality and TrustTerminology Specific Brand Name Angiotensin Receptor Blocker Losartan Potassium
37. A Sign of Quality and Trust Arbium Plus HydrochlorothiazideAngiotensin Receptor Blocker Losartan Potassium
38. A Sign of Quality and TrustBenefit Driven Brand Name A trusted option of remedy
39. A Sign of Quality and TrustBenefit Driven Brand NameOne of the best Calcium channel blocker to control blood pressure.
40. A Sign of Quality and TrustBenefit Driven Brand Name Perindopril ensures cardiac safety
41. A Sign of Quality and TrustBenefit Driven Brand Name Perindopril ensures cardiac safety