Behavioural Finance
-B.V.Raghunandan, SVS College, Bantwal
MBA Department,
Alva’s College of Engineering,
Moodbidri
August...
Bi-Polar World
• Physical Sciences like
Physics, Chemistry, Mathema
tics-Precision and
Quantitative
• Non-Physical Science...
Bi-Polar Finance
• Standard Finance -Adding Precision to the Art
of Investment-Homo Economicus
• Behavioural Finance- The ...
Standard Finance
• Modigliani and Miller’s Arbitrage Theory
• Markowitz’s Diversified Portfolio
• Asset Allocation of Shar...
Miller-Modigliani Arbitrage
Arbitrage
Theory of
Franco
Modigliani
&
Merton
Miller
Harry Max Markowitz
• Modern Portfolio Theory-
Risk, Return, Correlation
and Diversification
William Forsyth
Sharpe
• Capital Asset
Pricing Model
• Sharpe Ratio for risk
adjusted
performance
analysis
• Binomial Meth...
Fischer Black-Myron S.Scholes
• Valuation of Options
• Hedging
• Wide Usage
• Option Price Calculator
Efficient Market Hypothesis
• People behave rationally (Homo Economicus)
• Maximise the expected profit or utility
• Tryin...
Behavioural Finance
• BF is the study of the
impact created by
psychological factor on the
activities of the investing
pub...
Why Psychology?
• Crowd Mentality
• Childishness
• Tension
• Need to be Praised
• Prove Smartness
• Short Term View
• Into...
Authorities on Behavioural Finance
• 1896- Gustave le Bon-’A Study of Popular Mind’
• 1912- Seldon-’Psychology of the Stoc...
Prospect Theory
• 1974-Amos Tversky
& Daniel Kahneman
described three
heuristics when
making judgement
under uncertainty:
...
Import of the Theory
– Explaining the apparent regularity in human behaviors when assessing
risk under uncertainty.
– Peop...
Risk
Aversion
&
Risk
Seeking• Situation 1
Option a) A sure gain of Rs.2,000
Option b) 25% Chance to gain Rs.10,000 and 75%...
Richard Thaler: Regret Theory
• Mental Accounting-1980
a) underweighting of
opportunity costs
b) failure to ignore sunk
co...
Further Theories
• 1980- Tversky and Kahneman- Problem
Framing and preferences
• 1981-Shiller- Volatility is too high for ...
Changes in Stock Market
• Mutual Funds & Other
Institutions
• HNI
• FII Activity
• F & O Market
• Regulation by SEBI
• Mon...
THANK YOU
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Behavioural finance b.v.raghunandan

399

Published on

Published in: Economy & Finance, Business
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
399
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
38
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Behavioural finance b.v.raghunandan

  1. 1. Behavioural Finance -B.V.Raghunandan, SVS College, Bantwal MBA Department, Alva’s College of Engineering, Moodbidri August 20, 2013
  2. 2. Bi-Polar World • Physical Sciences like Physics, Chemistry, Mathema tics-Precision and Quantitative • Non-Physical Sciences like Botany, Zoology, Medicines and Social Sciences- Imprecise and Qualitative
  3. 3. Bi-Polar Finance • Standard Finance -Adding Precision to the Art of Investment-Homo Economicus • Behavioural Finance- The Imprecise Art and the Heuristic Attitude
  4. 4. Standard Finance • Modigliani and Miller’s Arbitrage Theory • Markowitz’s Diversified Portfolio • Asset Allocation of Sharpe • Black-Schole’s Option Pricing
  5. 5. Miller-Modigliani Arbitrage Arbitrage Theory of Franco Modigliani & Merton Miller
  6. 6. Harry Max Markowitz • Modern Portfolio Theory- Risk, Return, Correlation and Diversification
  7. 7. William Forsyth Sharpe • Capital Asset Pricing Model • Sharpe Ratio for risk adjusted performance analysis • Binomial Method of Option Valuation • Returns Based Style Analysis
  8. 8. Fischer Black-Myron S.Scholes • Valuation of Options • Hedging • Wide Usage • Option Price Calculator
  9. 9. Efficient Market Hypothesis • People behave rationally (Homo Economicus) • Maximise the expected profit or utility • Trying to predict future value of individual securities • Important current information is freely available to all the participants (Weak, Semi-Strong and Strong Markets) • Free Availability of information means there is no cost involved in getting the information
  10. 10. Behavioural Finance • BF is the study of the impact created by psychological factor on the activities of the investing public, traders, companies and the financial intermediaries
  11. 11. Why Psychology? • Crowd Mentality • Childishness • Tension • Need to be Praised • Prove Smartness • Short Term View • Intolerance • Moody • Refusing to Take Decision • Acting on Tips • Escaping from Reality • TV/Internet • Individualistic • Creating a Virtual World • Destruction of Family • Diplomacy inside the House • Self-Centered Parents • Nuclear Personalities • Failing Health • Blinkers on the Eyes
  12. 12. Authorities on Behavioural Finance • 1896- Gustave le Bon-’A Study of Popular Mind’ • 1912- Seldon-’Psychology of the Stock Market’-price changes depend upon mental attitude of the investing and trading public • 1956- Leon Festinger introduced Theory of Cognitive Dissonance in social psychology
  13. 13. Prospect Theory • 1974-Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman described three heuristics when making judgement under uncertainty: • Representativeness • Availability: occurrences • anchoring and adjustment • Risk Aversion
  14. 14. Import of the Theory – Explaining the apparent regularity in human behaviors when assessing risk under uncertainty. – People respond differently to equivalent situations depending on whether it is presented in the context of a loss or a gain. – Computation is based on losses and gains rather than final asset values – Investors are risk hesitant when chasing gains but become risk lovers when trying to avoid a loss
  15. 15. Risk Aversion & Risk Seeking• Situation 1 Option a) A sure gain of Rs.2,000 Option b) 25% Chance to gain Rs.10,000 and 75% chance to gain nothing • Situation 2 a) A sure loss of Rs.5000 b) 75% chance to loss Rs.10,000 and 25% chance to lose nothing
  16. 16. Richard Thaler: Regret Theory • Mental Accounting-1980 a) underweighting of opportunity costs b) failure to ignore sunk costs c) search behaviour, choosing not to choose and regret d) precommitment and self- control.
  17. 17. Further Theories • 1980- Tversky and Kahneman- Problem Framing and preferences • 1981-Shiller- Volatility is too high for the future dividend • 1985- F.M.De Pont and Thaler-Overreaction of Stcok Market • 1988- Samuelson and Zeckhauser- Status Quo Bias • Many other Theories like Overconfidence etc
  18. 18. Changes in Stock Market • Mutual Funds & Other Institutions • HNI • FII Activity • F & O Market • Regulation by SEBI • Monetary Policy of RBI • Government Policies • Scams • Consultants, Advisors and Media • Investment Trusts • Disinvestment • Technology • Many Players • Dominant Financial Services • Free Pricing of IPOs • Technical Analysis • Irrelevance of PE Ratios • Tips and Sentiments • Interim Financial Reporting
  19. 19. THANK YOU
  1. A particular slide catching your eye?

    Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.

×