2. How do you create a Transgenic Mouse?•Several methods but one most often used: Transgenic Mouse Process Animation
3. First Method of Transgenic Mice Creation• (basic steps) Standard Transgenic Approach: 1. Microinject fertilized mouse eggs with transgene
4. Methods continued…2. Injected eggs are implanted into a fostermother
5. Methods continued…3. Offspring are then born “Pups”; possiblefounders (have the transgene)
6. Method Continued…4. Potential founders (pups with the transgene) are found using a PCR analysis and or southern blotting (Black offspring = founders)5. Founders can then be further analyzed for affectsof that transgene
7. Methods Continue… Transgenic Mice Technology Part 1 Transgenic Mice Technology Part 2
8. Why create transgenic mice?•Transgenic Mice have: •Aided the study of Alchemies Disease • Aided in study of pancreatic cancer Transgenic Mice aids study of Pancreatic Cancer •Acted as disease models •Tested toxicants •Produced specific proteins helpful in biotechnology
9. Pros and Cons• Pros – Cheap – Short generation time – Defined genes• Cons – Ethical Concerns • Are the animals treated with respect? – Environmental Issues • What if a genetically modified animal gets loose? – Religious Views • Do we have the right to act as God?
10. Animation And Picture Credits• Experiments." Experiments. Web. 23 May 2012. <http://student.biology.arizona.edu/honors2005/group07/Experiments.html>.• "Transgenic Mice." Transgenic Mice. Web. 23 May 2012. <http://www.accessexcellence.org/RC/VL/GG/transgenic.php>.• Creating Transgenic Mice: On-Line Self-Study." Human Development. Professor Danton ODay. Web. <http://www.utm.utoronto.ca/~w3bio380/pdf/Creating%20Transgenic%20Mice.pdf>.• "Transgenic Mouse Animation." Transgenic Mouse Animation. Web. 23 May 2012. <http://spine.rutgers.edu/cellbio/assets/flash/transgen.htm>.• Transgenic Animals. 13 June 2011. Web. <http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/T/TransgenicAnimals.html>.• "Fig002jme: Two Methods to Produce Transgenic Mice." Fig002jme: Two Methods to Produce Transgenic Mice. Web. 23 May 2012. <http://journals.cambridge.org/fulltext_content/ERM/ERM3_12/S1462399401002952sup00 4.htm>.• Proneural. "The Science of Transgenic Technology Part 2 of 2." YouTube. YouTube, 25 Apr. 2007. Web. 23 May 2012. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFNtTfhhQ70>.• Proneural. "The Science of Transgenic Technology Part 1 of 2." YouTube. YouTube, 25 Apr. 2007. Web. 23 May 2012. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujZHrR1mro8>.