Monobe River is located in the central part of Kochi prefecture, on Shikoku island, Japan. The Monobe River is a first class river covering the catchment area of about 508km2, with the total mainstream length of approximately 71 km
One of the critical issues in the Monobe River area is the increasing environmental degradation of the river
For example, land slide at Nakao valley on the upstream
Land slide caused by typhoon No.14
Muddy water in the stream
Depleteion of Ayu (sweet fish) population. This is classic picture of Ayu fishing in the Monobe River as evidence how rich of natural resource in the Monobe River was.
After landslide caused by typhoon and muddy water in the Monobe river, it was crisis of rapid decrease of Ayu population from then.
Part of effort to improve the river environment condition in the MonobeRiver is public awareness campaign and environment education program. This is to inform public on current situation and raising public awareness for long term goal of changing public behavior to ideal situation of the river.
In Monobe River, there are a diverse group of stakeholder.Multi-stakeholder approach is concept to promote cooperation to work together in the Monobe River environmental situation. Multi-stakeholder approach is integrating between resources and stakeholder interests from exchanged information, mutual cooperation and communication on common objectives among stakeholders.
This slide shows model of multi-stakeholder approach and three main stakeholders in the Monobe river utilizing their strength through communication and information exchange.
Three main stakeholders are government administration, local organization and education institutions
In order to increase public awareness on environmental issue in Monobe river, several implementing activities includes committee which came from stakeholders in the basin.
List of organizations
List of organizations
Another activity is Monobe river festival which is an outdoor event with an opportunity to say thank you to the river
Example of activities in Monobe river festival
One of muddy water resources is expected to come form is agriculture farms
Japan Agriculture cooperative is working and training to farmers to introduce new method on rice field preparation to reduce muddy water.
Environmental education programs for children which is a cooperation between the 21st century, MLIT and primary schools in the Monobe river
For Thailand environmental management, these are lessons learned from the Monobe river.
1. PUBLIC AWARENESS CAMPAIGNS AND EDUCATIONPROGRAMS IN THE MONOBE RIVER Piriya URAIWONG Tsunemi WATANABE Kochi University of Technology, Japan
2. Monobe River 2
3. Monobe Environmental Degradation 3
4. Land Slide at Nakao ValleyCourtesy picture from the 21st century 4
5. Land Slide caused by Typhoon No.14Courtesy picture from the 5 21st century
6. Muddy water (MLIT,2008) 6
7. Muddy water (MLIT,2008) 7
8. River mouth blockage 8
9. Depletion of Ayu (sweet fish) population 9
10. Massive Death of Ayu in 2000
11. Raising public awareness Ideal situation of Monobe River Change Raise public public behavior Inform public awareness Current situation ofMonobe River 12
12. Multi-stakeholder Approach• Integrating between resources and stakeholder interests• Collective disciplines from a group of stakeholder by means of information exchange, mutual cooperation and communication• Common objectives among stakeholders 13
13. Multi-stakeholder Approach 14
14. Three Main Stakeholder Groups• Government administration – The Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (MLIT) – Kochi prefecture administration• Local organization – Association of forest and water in Monobe River for the 21st century (the 21st century) – Japan agricultural cooperatives (JA)• Education institution – Kochi University of Technology 15
15. Monobe river clean streampreservation promotion committee Mountain and forest management Water quantity and quality Effective water utilizationCommittee Water quality Recovering original river condition Waste management Ecosystem/ Taking kids to river relationship between river Promoting education which encourage to enjoy and people Monobe river Promoting effective utilization of natural resources in the river basin Promoting environmental preservation activities which involve people 16
16. List of organizations Monobe forest Kami forest Sumitomo Joint owners ownersElectric Power Co., cooperative cooperative Sugita dam Land Yamadazekiisuji Kataji Land Improvement Land Improvement Improvement District District District Monobe river Land Monobe river Improvement fishermens District cooperative 17
17. List of organizationsJA(Japan Agricultural Cooperatives ) JA Tosakami JA Nangoku-city Nagaoka Konan-city Kami-city commercial Nangoku-city Konan- commercial and and industrial city commercial andindustrial association association industrial association Kochi Prefectural Kochi Prefectural Federation of Federation of Tosa fishermen’s knife cooperatives cooperatives 18
18. Monobe River Festival“Thank you” to the Monobe River 19
20. Reduce Muddy Water from Rice Farm 26
21. JA introduced new method on rice field preparation to reducemuddy water 27
22. Environmental Education Program for Children 28
23. Current situation of the Monobe River headwaterstudy trip