1. Internship report AtShezan International Ltd By Muhammad Nasir (2008-URTB-8287) Food Science & Technology University Of Poonch, Rawalakot
2. INTRODUCTION This report is an essential part of Food Sciences and Technology requirements that is offered by the UCAR. It is based on 8 weeks internship programme.It is required to be submitted to University. This report is about Shezan International (LTD). Shezan international food industry was incorporated in a public limited company on October 10, 1988 and was incorporated on May 30, 1964 as a private limited , This company is engaged in the manufacture and sale of juices, beverages, pickle, preserves and flavoring based upon fruits and vegetables. The company has been steadily expanding its production capacity over years. This company is engaged in the manufacture and sale of juices, beverages, pickle, preserves and flavoring based upon fruits and vegetables. The company has been steadily expanding its production capacity over years.
3. Quality Control Policy The quality control officer said: Prepare the best quality product believing the quality is the first priority and will take all steps to encourage quality canorousness. Most of all applicable regulatory requirement and system standard. To recognize that our work force is our strength To satisfy the customer Continually improvement of the product, skills, systems and business of the organization. By Muhammad Noman Quality Control Officer
4. Tetra pack:Tetra pack is company deals with liquid packing in board cartons aseptically.Process in which a food product such as ultra high treatment (UHT) andits package is sterilized separately and then combined and sealed understerilized atmosphere.For understand about tetra pack following aspects should be understand.Tetra packPasteurization of juiceAseptic packagingSterilization of packaging material by H2O2Packaging materialPackaging integrity Online quality checkBacteria
5. Bottling plant: In 1984 bottling machinery is installed in Shezan. Production of bottling plant is 900 crates per hour and 21600 bottles per hour. This bottle is returnable, having capacity of 240ml. Filling of bottles with hot filling process that is at 85 º C. Shelf life of bottle is 6monthsMango, lemon and grape juice is filled in bottles. Each juice has following steps for filling. Unloading conveyer Sorting of bottles Uncase machine Bottle conveyer Bottle washing
6. Dip washing :Five tanks in which dip washing carried out: Caustic % Temperature ºC 1st tank 2-4 60-70 2nd tank 2-4 70-85 3rd tank 2-4 70-85 4th tank 2-4 70-85 5th tank treated water 70-85 Washer station: Inspection: Control box: Filler feed conveyer: Pasteurizer: Filler/filling machine: Crowner: Inspection:
7. Ink jet coder: Shift number Plant number Expiry date Outer cleaning of filled bottles Table conveyer Stacking and storage
9. procedure Clean the double plate stainless steel kettle Add tomato paste in the cooking pan start agitation Now introduce the steam in the pan and add sugar according to the recipe. Add seasoning that are extracts of spices in the pan in the blended form. Te extract is prepared by adding all the blend of spices in the other pan and boiling this blend for 40-45 minutes at the boiling temperate. This material is then filtered to get the spices extract. Now the material in the pan is cooked for approximately 3 minutes at a temperature at about 105°C-110°C and at the pressure nearly 40 bars but not exceeding 40 bars to get 36° brix tomato ketchup Just before end of cooking add color and preservative by dissolving in some quantity of water Cool the ketchup by running water around the pan. Filter the prepared ketchup and pass through the homogenizer at a pressure of 130 bars Pump the prepared ketchup to filling tank.
10. Filling is done by vacuum filling machine in case of bottle filling andfor bucket filling ketchup is first fill in the polythene bag which is thensealed and packed.The bucket is ten passed through a shrink wrapping machine whilethe glass bottle is capped by capping machine.Then labeling is done manually on buckets and mechanically on glassbottles showing the name of product, ingredients and expiry date.Quality standards:Brix 36Acidity 1.2-1.3%
11. Jam preparation Ingredients: Fruit pulp Sugar Pectin Citric acid Potassium sorbate Color Flavo
12. Jam Procedure: Put measured amount of pulp in the pan and starts its agitation . Sugar is added in the pan according to the recipe and introduces the steam to cook this mixture at 100°C-105°C and 30 bar pressure for 25 minutes. When boiling starts, sugar and pulp get dissolved, remove the steam application. Now pectin is added by making a solution of pectin and sugar at 70°C-80°C temperature of mixture. After addition of pectin avoid boiling. Now citric acid, potassium sorbate and color is added by dissolving in a optimum amount of water and agitate these ingredients without application of steam.
13. Cont… adjust the brix of jam to 68-69° Pass the prepared jam through the filter to the filler tank for filling except for strawberry jam. (because of its graininess) Filling of jam is done in the plastic gallon which is also labeled manually and also in the 400g glass bottles by filling machine which is also capped annually and labeled mechanically which shows the name of product, ingredients and expiry dateNote:1- Potassium sorbate has antifungal effect.2- Citric acid is used to lower the pH to 3.1 and it helps the jam to set properly.Quality standards: Brix 68°-69° pH 3.1%
14. Research and development labQuality control test in Shezan:Following are the tests which are performed in Shezan international in quality controlLaboratory : Brix by hand refractometer Acidity test by titration method pH test by pH strip or pH meter Sulphur dioxide test Cloud stability test Sensory tests (smell, taste, color, fermentation)
15. Pickle preservationPickling is a process of preserving food. A solution of brine or vinegar, often spiced, forpreserving and flavoring food is pickle. pH of pickle is 3.1-3.2.The basic procedureof any fruit and vegetable which is to be pickled is as fallow. Receiving and purchasing: Quality inspection: Sorting and washing: Peeling: Cutting: Preservation(10% dry salting for one night ) Drainage: Brining:
17. Cip method:Cleaning of the juice filling machine, pasteurizer and the pipe work bycleaning fluid mustbe done after 20 hours of production. Mostly water is usedas this fluid. Some chemicals are also use with that water called CIPchemicals. NaOH solution with concentration of 1.5-2% is circulated at 80% for 15-20minute. Then circulation of nitric acid 0.75% is done at 60ºC-80ºC for 15- 20 minute. Final rinsing is done by circulation of cold water for15-20 minute .