View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
What is Genealogy?
According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary genealogy is:
• an account of the descent of a person, family, or group from an
ancestor or from older forms
• regular descent of a person, family, or group of organisms from a
progenitor or older form : pedigree
• the study of family pedigrees
• an account of the origin and historical development of something
Why Research Your Family Tree?
• Remember the past
• Pass on knowledge
• Reconnect with family
• Inform Future Generations
• Discovering Roots
Where to start?
Ask family members to tell you
about events, people, and places.
Memories can vary from person to
person as everyone remembers
People used to record births,
marriages, deaths, graduations, and
other important events in family
bibles. These bibles are usually
passed from one generation to the
next and can be fragile. However,
they can offer a wealth of
information for researchers.
Courtesy of www.flicker.com
Images courtesy of bing.com
Record Information: This can be
done using a variety of formats!
•Paper and Pen
This short video clip explains conducting genealogy research at the
National Archives in Washington, DC-The Archives, which has many
different records to offer researchers.
Michael Strauss http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8sboL5a3Dw
What Resources are
Available to the
• The National Archives
• Mormon Church Genealogy Vault
• Family Records
• Create a family tree-Free
• Free genealogy websites available by state and county
• National Archives-Free
• Genealogy Resources outside the United States- Free
• Find a grave-Free
• Mormon Church (LDS)-Free
• IPL2 genealogy pathfinder (Internet Public Library)- Free
• Salem, MA genealogy pathfinder- Free
• National Genealogical Society- Subscription